wyeast 1968 - London ESB - Diacetyl rest

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CadiBrewer

Reaction score
I brewed an ESB on Saturday and pitched Wyeast 1968. It is bubbling happily away in the fermentation chamber at 64 degrees. The Wyeast style guide says that this strain needs a diacetyl rest. Do I need to raise the temperature to 70 degrees after fermentation ends for the diacetyl rest, or do I just leave it at 64 degrees for an extra week or so. I was planning on three weeks in the primary and then straight to keg for carb and then consumption.

Since it sounds like you have temp control (which is a wonderful thing), I'd suggest bumping it up to 65-66*F now, give it a couple more days at that temp. When it starts to really slow down, edge it up to 67.5-68*F, give it a gentle swirl, and leave it there to finish.

I've got a batch of ESB fermenting right now (5 days post-brew) with 1968. Did a 1L stirplate starter (looked like a cottage cheese beer shake), pitched at 60*F, started fermenting it at 63*F and I am now, doing what I just described, holding at a steady 67.5-68*F (as measured on the bucket).

With 1968 ESB, it's not so much giving it a "D-rest" or cleanup (which you would be doing anyway by following the above profile) as it is an effort to keep it from prematurely focculating out before it's done fermenting. It has a tendency to fall out early at the lower end of its temp range.

Hope it turns out nicely for you. With a fermenter chamber, it likely will.

ESB is one of my favorites. It's a lovely choice to give someone who isn't familiar with anything beyond BMC. The keg of it I have on tap is almost gone because everyone who tries it loves it. Good thing I have another one in the pipeline to take its place.:mug:

With 1968 ESB, it's not so much giving it a "D-rest" or cleanup (which you would be doing anyway by following the above profile) as it is an effort to keep it from prematurely focculating out before it's done fermenting. It has a tendency to fall out early at the lower end of its temp range.

this! i pitch 17-18 C and start warming slowly, within 3-4 days i want it 21-22 C, and i'm not afraid to give it a good swirl to rouse the yeast. i have had bad diacetyl with this yeast, so taste it before you declare it done! actually, while i'm rambling on, i once grew a big starter, made two different worts and split the starter between them. similar SG, same temp regime, one finished 'clean' (as far as you can call 1968 clean) as i expected, and the other full of diacetyl! the moral- follow good practice to get the yeast to finish out, but rely on your senses at the end.

I've got an esb that's just finished carbing up in the bottles, and I definitely have some diacetyl in it. I fermented it at 17 Celsius, then after 5 days or so, brought it upstairs to my 20 degree living room for another 11 days or so. I wasn't aware that this yeast was prone to it, but luckily the esb style allows for some D, and my brew tastes pretty darn good anyways. Good to know for next time though.

Thanks for the additional input. I'll give mine a taste in a few days (at hydro sample time) to especially look for diacetyl flavor. I've previously sampled lager pre-rest vs. post-rest just to see what the difference is and to be able to ID the flavor. If needed. I'll give it a few days at 70-71*F (hydro and taste it again) before going in the keg.

Back