s'more beer???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

christopherrburns

Reaction score
Was talking to a friend who was worried about a beer he made because he caramelized his lme in his boil pot. It gave me the idea of useing burnt sugar, chocolate nibs and smoked grains to make a s'more porter. I;ve mentioned this to a few and they all say gross. I think it sounds interesting, anyone made this or tried one before??? just wondering.

Smoked grains are welcome to a porter recipe, for me, it's all about personal taste, some 2~5% of grist should not hurt if you keep the dark malt at 15% and the caramel malt at 10%. Never tried to put burnt sugar on a typical bodied recipe, like a porter. But, break the rule, may your beer turn into a great one!

I can't recall the brewery, but over the weekend I had a s'mores beer. It was a porter that said it was brewed with chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows. I don't know if all that was true, but it was definitely good. If you like s'mores, go for it, although I'd probably forgo the smoked malt.

I can't recall the brewery, but over the weekend I had a s'mores beer. It was a porter that said it was brewed with chocolate, graham crackers and marshmallows. I don't know if all that was true, but it was definitely good. If you like s'mores, go for it, although I'd probably forgo the smoked malt.

Was it Highwater's Campfire Stout?

I read somebody talking about doing this elsewhere as well. I don't remember all the details but I do remember discussion of mashing graham crackers along with the grains to pull some of that flavor out. If not going quite so directly as this, perhaps toss in a tiny bit of honey malt to simulate honey graham cracker flavor?

Back