Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is there any negative effects to leaving the pee on the lees for an extended period? I am at fg but do not have an empty fermenter to rack to. I do have another bucket but I am concerned the headspace may be an issue.

If you have just fine lees there should be no issue, but there is no reason why you could not rack to clean/sanitized bucket and then clean/sanitize the carboy you just emptied and simply return the contents of the bucket to your fresh carboy. I do it all the time and my wine is not harmed.

If you have just fine lees there should be no issue, but there is no reason why you could not rack to clean/sanitized bucket and then clean/sanitize the carboy you just emptied and simply return the contents of the bucket to your fresh carboy. I do it all the time and my wine is not harmed.

Sounds good. The only problem is I only have buckets right now. The pee is in a bucker right now and I only have another spare bucket. I should have a free carboy in about a week though.

Ok, so I read through a bunch of this but I didn't see what I was looking for. I do recall it was discussed so I apologize for bringing this up again. I am wanting to make this with honey and have calculated the honey equivalents to this using the got mead calculator (been pretty accurate so far). My question is can I add the lemon after the ferment? Pretty sure this has been done but I don't recall the comments of its effect on the flavor.

So I assume there isn't a chance of oxidation if I rack over to another bucket as there will be a decent amount of headspace?

Headspace is an issue in any container at this point, even in a bucket. You can use an object to help displace volume and get rid of the headspace. Some use glass, leadfree marbles(3# displaces 1 Liter), but whatever you use needs to be clean, sanitized and safe to add to the wine. I knew someone who double vacuum packed dried beans and used them as weights to displace the volume. Others use gas to fill the headspace.

Ok, so I read through a bunch of this but I didn't see what I was looking for. I do recall it was discussed so I apologize for bringing this up again. I am wanting to make this with honey and have calculated the honey equivalents to this using the got mead calculator (been pretty accurate so far). My question is can I add the lemon after the ferment? Pretty sure this has been done but I don't recall the comments of its effect on the flavor.

Some time in the future I plan on doing a mead version of this too. Just to compair to the original thing. I think I am just going to follow the directions exactly just replacing the sugar for honey. Honey is more acidic than dextrose or table sugar so that may cause issues but we will see.

Arpolis said:
Some time in the future I plan on doing a mead version of this too. Just to compair to the original thing. I think I am just going to follow the directions exactly just replacing the sugar for honey. Honey is more acidic than dextrose or table sugar so that may cause issues but we will see.

That was my concern as well, hence wondering if adding the lemon after ferment would be a better plan. I talked to my professor (a vintner) about it and he suggested taking a limoncello style approach. I argued with him a little bit regarding the pith issue which he acknowledged but didn't think it would be much of an issue seeing as how it's not an issue with actual limoncello. He knows a heck of a lot more than I do so I may try a small test batch like that. I imagine a more lemon flavor imparting rather than a lemonade effect. Still sounds tasty to me.

That was my concern as well, hence wondering if adding the lemon after ferment would be a better plan. I talked to my professor (a vintner) about it and he suggested taking a limoncello style approach. I argued with him a little bit regarding the pith issue which he acknowledged but didn't think it would be much of an issue seeing as how it's not an issue with actual limoncello. He knows a heck of a lot more than I do so I may try a small test batch like that. I imagine a more lemon flavor imparting rather than a lemonade effect. Still sounds tasty to me.

Well I think as long as you use a really good healthy yeast slurry with a PH resistant yeast it should be ok.

My last SP used a slurry from a white grape peach wine I made so I think I will do something similar. I don't want to make a full 5 gallon batch so think a quick 1 gallon will suffice. I also don't want to deal with the fresh fruits like in my last wine so will stick to concentrate.

4 cans of Welch's White grape peach conentrate.
1 TBS black tea
1 tsp DAP
1/2 tsp yeast energizer
1/2 tsp pectic enzyme
Water to a gallon
Yeast: Lalvin 71b

I will let that sit in primary until nice and clear, probably 1 - 2 months. Rack and then transfer the yeast slurry to Carboy and start the Skeeter Pee Mead.

Pretty pumped. Have a batch of apfelwein going for about a week and a half and will be racking it soon to use the slurry to make some SP. just bought all the ingredients today and bought a wine whip specifically for this. Any tips or tricks from anyone who has made this besides what the recipe says?

Pretty pumped. Have a batch of apfelwein going for about a week and a half and will be racking it soon to use the slurry to make some SP. just bought all the ingredients today and bought a wine whip specifically for this. Any tips or tricks from anyone who has made this besides what the recipe says?

Just stick to the recipe, it's one of my favorites. The last batch I made I didn't bother waiting the 24hours and just pitched the yeast cake right into the must and it worked great.

No need for a wine whip but it does make it easier to degas. Becareful if you have a full carboy. I used a kitchen hand blender thing to degas my latest batch and forgot about what happens when you "disturb" a carbonated beverage...foam volcano all over the counter.

Another thing, if you don't have a yeast slurry, one packet of EC-1118 works great.

looneybomber said:
Another thing, if you don't have a yeast slurry, one packet of EC-1118 works great.

Really? I read through the first couple pages and it seemed everyone was saying the slurry is amust considering the preservatives and the acid concentration. My apfelwein is almost ready for a racking so I should have a slurry soon but if that's the case, maybe next time I'll just pitch some 1118.

Made two batches so far using 1 packet of EC1118 each. Both fermented out just like the instructions said. I've had great luck with EC1118 regardless what I've used it for (making SP and carbing up high AbV beers).

EC1118 works, but in my experience, be prepared for a SLOOOOW start. I've seen it take more than a week to show signs of fermentation, vs as quick as a few hours (ok, maybe 4-5) for a slurry start.

Really quick... I'm racking a batch and want to carbonate it, don't have the ability to force carb. Should I not add the k meta and sorbate but still add the sparkalloid? Thanks all

Newbrew12 said:
Really quick... I'm racking a batch and want to carbonate it, don't have the ability to force carb. Should I not add the k meta and sorbate but still add the sparkalloid? Thanks all

Don't add the sorbate, kmeta is ok.

Can anyone spare a clue for how do deal with 50+ bottles of SP with presumably dead yeast, but with dextrose added (3/4 cup, intended to carbonate the bottles).

Should I dump them all back into a bucket and add yeast? How much yeast? How do I keep it all from being completely oxidized? Could I just toss a pinch of yeast into each bottle and recap?

Help?

Can anyone spare a clue for how do deal with 50+ bottles of SP with presumably dead yeast, but with dextrose added (3/4 cup, intended to carbonate the bottles).

Should I dump them all back into a bucket and add yeast? How much yeast? How do I keep it all from being completely oxidized? Could I just toss a pinch of yeast into each bottle and recap?

Help?

Can you provide a bit more detail, like:

What was your process when it came time to prime? Did you add k-meta, sorbate? Dextrose to what volume of SP?
When did you prime and bottle? How have bottles been stored since?

Help?

Did you hit the batch with sulfite and sorbate then try to prime?

looneybomber said:
How will you stop fermentation so as not to blow up bottles?

Is there a need? I don't do anything special in beer or other sparkling wines. Just make sure the measurement on inverted sugar is correct and it should only be able to ferment enough to give it the carbonation. Is there something different about the pee I'm missing?

Is there a need? I don't do anything special in beer or other sparkling wines. Just make sure the measurement on inverted sugar is correct and it should only be able to ferment enough to give it the carbonation. Is there something different about the pee I'm missing?

Yes. Additional added sugar for sweetening. There is 2 lbs of sugar added after fermentation is complete and you don't want the yeast fermenting that.

Drinking skeeter pee without back sweetening will make you pucker up tighter than a frog's arse. But once you toss in a bit of sugar to sweeten it goes down easier than a whore's nightgown.

Haha ya. Last years batch was good just wish I would've carbonated it. Ill back sweeten with Splenda probably. Go for the nightgown affect ;)

How much of a flavor difference is there using splenda vs sugar? I wouldn't mind cutting a few calories, say back sweeten with half sugar, half splenda, but only if it doesn't taste "diet".

Not sure but I haven't read anything about it. I just have read it doesn't ferment so less risk of bottle bombs when back sweetening so should work for my application. Ill report when I do it though.

How much of a flavor difference is there using splenda vs sugar? I wouldn't mind cutting a few calories, say back sweeten with half sugar, half splenda, but only if it doesn't taste "diet".

I've never tried...but put it this way I've never had a drink with Splenda in it that didn't taste like "diet".

Pick up a corny and force carb it.

I used splenda and I don't get that "Diet" taste from this. I just cut the amount of sugar by 1/3. So instead of 6 cups table sugar I use 2 cups splenda. Sweetens about the same to the taste bud and i think my batch tastes awsome!.

I used splenda and I don't get that "Diet" taste from this. I just cut the amount of sugar by 1/3. So instead of 6 cups table sugar I use 2 cups splenda. Sweetens about the same to the taste bud and i think my batch tastes awsome!.

Your experience trumps my speculative bs. I'll try it on my next batch.

Your experience trumps my speculative bs. I'll try it on my next batch.

I have to ask... Do you like diet drinks? The reason I ask, is that I've been talked into trying drinks, that people that will deliberately choose a diet drink say "you cant tell that it's diet at all". WRONG every time! Don't mind the concept of saving calories, and making the back sweetening process easier, but am nervous about screwing up a batch......

Well my wife drinks diet mountain dew and when I try a sip of real mountain dew it tastes like a million bucks. That is the only diet to non-diet comparison I actually have when it comes to soft drinks.

From everything I've ever read a lot of people ferment using something like Splenda. Not because of wanting it "diet" but to avoid restarting fermentation which is my plan.

i flip-flop between regular sugar and splenda/sweet-n-low, etc, in skeeter pee. i can taste the difference between them all, but they're all good to me in that recipe. can't taste too much pretty quick :D

I have to ask... Do you like diet drinks? The reason I ask, is that I've been talked into trying drinks, that people that will deliberately choose a diet drink say "you cant tell that it's diet at all". WRONG every time! Don't mind the concept of saving calories, and making the back sweetening process easier, but am nervous about screwing up a batch......

Nope I can taste the sweetener from a mile away.

Back