Porter split: vanilla, oak/scotch, vanilla & oak/scotch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NuclearRich

Reaction score
Just wanted to show y'all my current pride, an anchor porter clone (which I always brew and its delicious) that I split up for secondary fermentation. 5 gallons of the base beer, primary for 2 weeks, then I seperated it last night leaving me with jus under 2gals of the base beer still in the primary, 1gal on medium toast hungarian oak cubes soaked in macallan12yr single malt scotch, 1gal on half a madagascar vanilla bean soaked in vodka, and 1gal sitting on both the vanilla and scotch soaked oak. I'll likely let it all sit for a good 2 weeks, maybe more depending on the flavor I get as I go. Ill update as I go, at bottling and when they are all finally ready!

SWMBO isnt the happiest, as the base is her favorite beer and now I'm messing with it lol.

The happy little porter family

ForumRunner_20121204_112312.jpg

I will!
I am thinking at least 2 weeks of aging for these, perhaps more. The only wood aging I have done is with 1gal of a doppelbock, where I tasted/smelled a sample every few days until I felt the oak presence was a tad too much and then I bottled. I actually just tasted the doppelbock last night, and I felt it was more subtle on the oak character than I expected. It was a 7ish%ABV smooth malty doppel, and in theory this porter is more robust so I expect it to take longer to get a nice oak character into it. Of course, this also has scotch in the wood, along with vanilla and I have no experience with any of that, but with the guidance I have found around here, I should be ok. :mug:

Status update? I was looking to oak age a beer using a little scotch and vanilla as well. Google search turned this thread up.

TIA.

The vanilla smelled and tasted amazing at 2 weeks aged. Post bottle conditioning, thats how i want it to taste so i left it on until now.

My brother is trying to tell me that Vanilla and Oak together will be too much vanilla. I'd appreciate your feedback on that.

Thats an odd notion...
Disclaimer: I am no oak expert.
I believe you will find different flavor characteristics based on a few different things. 1) type/origin of the oak 2) toast level of the oak 3) exposure of the oak to the beer. This thread on oak aging gave me a good jump off point, and you may find more valuable information there.
So I have only used oak in two instances now. Both times were the same bag of hungarian medium toast cubes. I don't find a ton of vanilla character in the beer that I have aged. It is more of a straight up oak flavor. A little pungent/smokey/bitter.
Now if you take oak that has been aged on bourbon/whiskey, you may get an additional vanilla flavor, depending on the spirit that was used. I used macallan 12yr, which has a very mellow smooth sweet vanilla flavor.
Point being, I don't think oak AND vanilla are predetermined to be an over-vanilla contribution.

I bottled my beer last night, so here's some basic notes:
Yum.
The Vanilla was sweet smelling and tasted like vanilla ice cream float made with an anchor porter. Yes, you will now have that for dessert at the next opportunity. The sweetness somehow made the beer seem heavier/thicker.
The Oak had very minimal character imparted from the scotch. The harshness from the last tasting has receeded some, but the oak character is bigger. It makes the beer seem thinner, perhaps a tad more boozy... both likely due to the bitter sensation the oak adds. It is similar to what the oak did to the dopplebock I aged the same way, as far as oak quality. A little strong, but this is what I was going for since the oaked doppelbock's oak flavor mellowed more than expected during bottle conditioning so I wanted to ramp up the oak a little more this time.
The Oak/Vanilla was a beautiful melding of vanilla and oak. A medley of complex and robust flavors. I can't wait to drink this one carbed and chilled.

Just wanted to show y'all my current pride, an anchor porter clone (which I always brew and its delicious) that I split up for secondary fermentation. 5 gallons of the base beer, primary for 2 weeks, then I seperated it last night leaving me with jus under 2gals of the base beer still in the primary, 1gal on medium toast hungarian oak cubes soaked in macallan12yr single malt scotch, 1gal on half a madagascar vanilla bean soaked in vodka, and 1gal sitting on both the vanilla and scotch soaked oak. I'll likely let it all sit for a good 2 weeks, maybe more depending on the flavor I get as I go. Ill update as I go, at bottling and when they are all finally ready!

SWMBO isnt the happiest, as the base is her favorite beer and now I'm messing with it lol.
I'm look at my first porter and like the look on what you are trying.
Could you tell me what base you used for porter and any other information would be appreciated.
Thanks andy

Back