Is my beer ready to drink?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrwentura

Reaction score
I made my first beer.(3068 wyeast weinhanstephaner yeast, dry wheat malt, and halletrau hops) It fermented, and i bottled it in 16& 22 oz bottles and a PArty Pig mini keg. It has been a week since my babies started bottle conditioning.

This morning, something in my gut told me to try a 16 oz bottle. As i go to pop off the cap, I anticipate the fizzy sound of Co2 bursting under the cap. To my surprise, It fizzled like a beautiful beer opening orchestra. It is a great moment.

ANYWAYS... my question is: it tasty beer, it is carbonated, should i chill the 16 oz bottles? Should I take a gravity reading and wait? I figured the 22s might need more time and the party pig on tap seemed like it needs more time as well. the pig hold 2.5 gallons, so i figure it will take the longest to condition.

what are your thoughts fellow home brewers?

If the 16's taste good to you,then put'em in the fridge for a week. The others will need another week or so. Wheat beers are faster anuwaus.

I made my first beer.(3068 wyeast weinhanstephaner yeast, dry wheat malt, and halletrau hops) It fermented, and i bottled it in 16& 22 oz bottles and a PArty Pig mini keg. It has been a week since my babies started bottle conditioning.

This morning, something in my gut told me to try a 16 oz bottle. As i go to pop off the cap, I anticipate the fizzy sound of Co2 bursting under the cap. To my surprise, It fizzled like a beautiful beer opening orchestra. It is a great moment.

ANYWAYS... my question is: it tasty beer, it is carbonated, should i chill the 16 oz bottles? Should I take a gravity reading and wait? I figured the 22s might need more time and the party pig on tap seemed like it needs more time as well. the pig hold 2.5 gallons, so i figure it will take the longest to condition.

what are your thoughts fellow home brewers?

You don't take gravity readings of bottled beer.

3 weeks is the time you should wait till drinking. So I would would wait 2 more weeks, chill, then serve. Also, more volume means faster conditioning/priming apparently.

Either way you want to wait 2 more weeks, chill then serve. Goodluck and congrats!

Wheat beers are different. They carb & condition faster than regular pale ales. 2 weeks & they shoild be ready. But I've had some ready in 11 days.

the 16oz bottles had quite a bit of carbonation to them, but didn't seem balanced carbed. What are the advantages of waiting in bottling longer if they are already carbed. Wont it get more carbonated with time? I know it will condition the flavor, aromas, and head on beer but what else should i know?

You also have to realize that carbonation happens quicker than conditioning. Conditioning is basically aging to the point where the flavor/aroma is balanced by the carbonation. Conditioning takes at least one more week than carbonation in an average ale.

Back