Utilizing hopback with plate chiller and pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmkratt

Reaction score
So I am still learning AG brewing, I have about 10 batches done and am ready to incorporate my hopback for some IPA's. I have done a fair amount of research and have now successfully confused myself and I am hoping someone can set me straight.

What I am doing now as soon as the boil is done:
Recirculate: Brew Kettle > Chugger Pump > Plate Chiller > Brew Kettle

This seems to be working just fine.

I don't know if this will work with the hopback though. I know the hopback adds flavor/aroma due to the high temperature of the wort. However as the temperature of the recirculation drops drastically will using the hopback provide any benefit at all?

My plan was to add the hopback as follows in the recirculation:
Brew Kettle > Hopback > Chugger Pump > Plate Chiller > Brew Kettle

I would sincerely appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Thank you!!

sure...you should notice a difference. It will be similar to that of flame out additions. You won't get any (or very little) bitterness, but you should get flavor, aroma...a little "perceived bitterness", but probably no more IBU. Personally I would put the hopback after the plate chiller to reduce risk of hop particles getting stuck in the pump or the plate chiller.

What I am doing now as soon as the boil is done:
Recirculate: Brew Kettle > Chugger Pump > Plate Chiller > Brew Kettle

You should be able to transfer the wort directly into the fermentor after going through the plate chiller rather than back into the BK. I've heard of guys using the hop-back before the plate chiller to filter out hop material from the boil so your plate chiller doesn't get clogged. I've never used one, but that's my understanding.

sure...you should notice a difference. It will be similar to that of flame out additions. You won't get any (or very little) bitterness, but you should get flavor, aroma...a little "perceived bitterness", but probably no more IBU. Personally I would put the hopback after the plate chiller to reduce risk of hop particles getting stuck in the pump or the plate chiller.

Would it be foolish to continue the recirculation to reduce the chance of particles getting stuck in plate chiller or pump? I was just going to keep the system going until the wort had cooled to pitching temps.

You should be able to transfer the wort directly into the fermentor after going through the plate chiller rather than back into the BK. I've heard of guys using the hop-back before the plate chiller to filter out hop material from the boil so your plate chiller doesn't get clogged. I've never used one, but that's my understanding.

I can't get the wort cold enough after one-trip through the plate chiller, hence the recirculation.

really, we go right into the carboy from the BK>Chugger>Chiller>Carboy with valve 1/2-3/4 open... But I am wondering too, if recirculating will clear it up... We are using a hop spider and it has made one hell of a difference...

really, we go right into the carboy from the BK>Chugger>Chiller>Carboy with valve 1/2-3/4 open... But I am wondering too, if recirculating will clear it up... We are using a hop spider and it has made one hell of a difference...

Ah! I've been using the valve fully open, will change that immediately! Thanks!

Here's my setup, boil ,hoprocket, chiller, pump.
img1883h.jpg

Here's my setup, boil ,hoprocket, chiller, pump.
img1883h.jpg

It was my understanding that you don't want to put any restrictions on the input of the pump. Looks like you've put a ton of restrictions. Can someone else comment?

It was my understanding that you don't want to put any restrictions on the input of the pump. Looks like you've put a ton of restrictions. Can someone else comment?

I know Chugger says it's a rule of thumb not to restrict the inlet, at least on their pumps.

"It was my understanding that you don't want to put any restrictions on the input of the pump. Looks like you've put a ton of restrictions. Can someone else comment?"

Hook up the hop back like the way the brewers pic shows..Reason? You need the pressure drop caused by the chiller. This keeps the hops from packing so tight when the pump starts, flow will almost stop. Starving the pump of a full head of liquid. Go Boiler, hop back, chiller, pump, fermentor. If your chiller isn't efficient enough and you need to recirculate. The longer recirculation time can still tighten up the 3 or 4 ounces of hops in front of the screen. It's better to one pass the wort right to the fermentor, ASAP. Recirculating doesn't do anything for the quality of the final product, anyway...From experience, I'll tell ya, it's tough to dig out the hops, once they pack up.

I've had no issues with this set up and I've run several hundred gallons through it.
I will take some pictures this weekend when I brew to show it hooked up to the fermentor. I can chill 11-12 gallons in to the fermentor in 5-10 minutes depending on what temp I want to start fermentation.

Pat

Not sure if he typed it wrong... BUt you want to go from BK to Pump... via gravity.. make sure pump is well below BK and then into chiller from pump... it may WORK that way, but it is better to go BK>Pump?Chiller>

Oh... and take that valve off of the Inlet!!!! YOu want the valve on the BK FULLY OPEN into the pump... restrict it on the END of the pump... and dont restrict it ANYWHERE else...

EDIT... I meant for all the people building a setup... I am sure yours works great and if you are good about always keeping that valve open on the inlet... then fine.. :) But you could just as easily take it off... Just a warning to new people building a rig. :) Good looking setup though.
We may just add the hopback to our setup... we need a filter...

So there is enough Force from the BK to push the wort through the hopback and chiller to reach the pump to begin the prime?

Yes that's correct. I did alot of expermenting with the hoprocket placement using water before I built the bracket that holds it to get it to flow correctly.

Pat

Not sure if he typed it wrong... BUt you want to go from BK to Pump... via gravity.. make sure pump is well below BK and then into chiller from pump... it may WORK that way, but it is better to go BK>Pump?Chiller>

Oh... and take that valve off of the Inlet!!!! YOu want the valve on the BK FULLY OPEN into the pump... restrict it on the END of the pump... and dont restrict it ANYWHERE else...

EDIT... I meant for all the people building a setup... I am sure yours works great and if you are good about always keeping that valve open on the inlet... then fine.. :) But you could just as easily take it off... Just a warning to new people building a rig. :) Good looking setup though.
We may just add the hopback to our setup... we need a filter...

Not sure if you are refering to me but I dont have an inlet valve.

Latest posts

Back