Build a beer around a yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDB

Reaction score
I'm trying to decide what to brew this weekend and feel awfully wishy washy. Was thinking of maybe letting my yeast decide for me -- I have a vial of WLP 530 Abbey, was wondering are there particular styles that WLP 530 yeast is BEST suited for (obviously would be a belgian). I'm doing partial mash/extract.

Good idea. Great yeast. It's Westmalle's strain, so clones of their recipes should steer you right.

But, since it's all about the yeast, your grain & hops can (and should) be simple. Pilsner base, 5-15% sugar, specialty grain sparingly if at all. Saaz or similar noble at 60 and minimal flavor addition, if at all.

I've used that strain a number of times, and find it to be quite versatile. Any trappist or abbey style ale would work, as would other modern styles like BIPAs. I don't know if that helps or not, but you're hardly hurting for options, which is rarely a bad thing.

Well I guess my hope is to try and narrow down options by figuring out not so much what would work, but what would work best, what is a beer that the yeast is built for, like what is THE brew that this yeast defines. You know? I don't know enough about brewing to begin to guess. Sounds like Westmalle is a good start though

The May-June issue of BYO magazine had a nice article on Westmaile and brewing trippels. The grain bill is really simple, just like TyTanium said. The yeast & fermentation control adds so much character to these beers.

5 gal. partial mash was something like:
4# Pilsner DME
4# Pilsner malt
2.5# sugar
2.25 oz Tettnanger hops @ 60 mins

Partial mash at 150-F for 60 mins. Pitch less yeast than you would usually, as the stressed yeast will produce more of the characteristic spicyness. Keep initial fermentation in the mid-60's, then let it raise slowly to 70-F over the last few days.

Or something like that... Good luck!
--LexusChris

I saw a number of very simple recipes for the Westmalle Tripel along thos elines except most have an ending fermentation at like 50 -- I don't have that kind of temp control :( Maybe fathers day will improve my set up .....

I saw a number of very simple recipes for the Westmalle Tripel along thos elines except most have an ending fermentation at like 50 -- I don't have that kind of temp control :( Maybe fathers day will improve my set up .....

That just speeds up the smoothing/conditioning process. Just give it a month (or a few months) to condition in normal temps and it'll be awesome.
The Trappists don't lager theirs and they turn out ok :)

That just speeds up the smoothing/conditioning process. Just give it a month (or a few months) to condition in normal temps and it'll be awesome.
The Trappists don't lager theirs and they turn out ok :)

Actually they do lager (see BLAM).

However, to the OP, you don't necessarily need to lager. If you really feel like it's an important part of the process, you can always bottle condition for three weeks to carbonate the beer and then leave bottles in your fridge for a month to lager before drinking.

Back