pectic enzyme

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoneTreeFarms

Reaction score
is this stuff the same as pectic enzyme? it's the one on the left it's usually found in the canning section of the grocery store.

Pectin_instant_061311.jpg

nope it is the opposite, it is pectin, which is what you don't want. Pectic enzyme breaks down pectin. Using it in your wine, at the very least would create a haze and at the worst, turn your wine in to jelly.

Yes, you don't want to put that in. It's used to make jams.

And a pectic haze is a rubbish thing to get in your wine. No matter how great the wine tastes, you can't get over the fact that it looks terrible. I had to dump a whole batch of sloe wine because of it.
Lesson learned!

Dicky

D:

You dumped wine JUST because it was hazy. Wow. I would've just drunk it from stoneware or something.

Pith said:
D:

You dumped wine JUST because it was hazy. Wow. I would've just drunk it from stoneware or something.

It looked like dirt. It really wasn't a great loss. I know where I can get an abundance of sloes when they're in season now so i'll try again next year.

Dicky

Back