Can I make a cheaters lager using WLP 0129?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tenchu_11

Reaction score
So i made a pils from a kit and was sent white labs kolch ale yeast. I found it odd since i thought a pilsener should be a lager ..right? Yet I fermented it hot like in the mid 80s by accident let it age for about 1 month and the sulfur taste went away. It was clear and smooth Pilsener like beer, so I want to make a Vienna Lager and I have no way of doing temp control and fermenting in the 50F's during summer or lagering. Is it possible or am I just setting myself up to fail by using Kolsch ale strain for a lager?
The vienna Lager is from Brewers Best kit never tried them before but i'm willing to try a commercial kit.

Its pretty late and i'm tired notice i posted this on extract kit and not yeast and fermenting. Please moderator feel free to remove or put it under different area. If not its cool just realized it was posted wrong,thank you.

I am currently attempting a marzen with wyeast 1007 which is a German alt hybrid strain. For temp control try a "swamp cooler". This is a container filled with water and a t-shirt or other fabric over the primary. The water helps dissapate the increased temp from the fermentation. The fabric will allow evaporation which should cool the primary. Some people claim they can drop 10 deg from ambient. I haven't been that successful. I am more like - 5 deg. For better cooling some people freeze 2L bottles of water and add that to the water. I don' t have freezer space to do it.

I say go for it and see what happens. As they say the worst thing that can happen is that you have beer. RDWHAHB!

I'm currently fermenting EdWort's Bee Cave Oktoberfest which uses WLP029 at 65F, then dropping to 60F. Smells pretty sulfery right now, but it looks like it's moving right along.

We'll see what it tastes like in late September - early October.

In regards to the Kolsch acting like a lager, from what I have heard, it does... good luck. :mug:

Wyeast 2565 --- An ale strain that leaves a subtle, almost lager-like maltiness in beer. Ideal for German Kolsch-style beers and fruit beers. Low flocculation, attenuation: 73-77%. Ideal temperature range: 56-64°F.

Wyeast 2575 --- This authentic Kolsch strain from one of Germanys leading brewing schools has a rich flavor profile which accentuates a soft malt finish. It has Low or no detectable diacetyl production and will also ferment well at colder temperatures for fast lager type beers.

White Labs WLP029 --- The slight sulfur produced during fermentation will disappear with age and leave a super clean, lager like ale.

Back