amount of priming sugar

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BSBrewer

Reaction score
every batch i've brewed to date has come with the priming sugar needed for bottling. my most recent batch did not but I have a big bag of dextrose - how much do I need - I'm thinking 1 cup - for my IPA?

4-5 ounces is probably better for a 5 gal batch. you should weigh it, as the density is variable.

no way to weigh it...hence asking needing it in a cup thing

my last batch I went for like a little over 1/2 and it came out way under carbed

I have used 3/4 to 1 cup, I actually weighed the 3/4 cup and it came out to about 4oz.
I'd go for 1 cup.(don't forget to mix well before bottling)

3/4 cup is a measurement thrown around a lot. Your undercarbed batch was probably not due to a low priming level. 3/4 C should give you a healthy, "American" level of carbonation.

The standard bags in the Midwest kits are 5 oz. That's what I always use when I'm measuring from a larger bag, because I've always been happy with it.

NEVER WEIGH OUT SUGAR IN CUPS. How dense you pack the measuring cup can alter how much sugar you are actually putting in and if you undershoot you'll have flatish beer. Use a scale- 4 oz per 5 gal of beer.

Back