Stocking up on hops, judge my selection..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dionysos911

Reaction score
After going to the LHBS to get hops for brew day I decided it was time to save some serious $$ and order in bulk from hops direct. My favorite beers are (in order-ish) IPA, Pales, Hefs, Reds .. I also would like to experiment with other things including fruit in 2nd but those are my preferred.

Currently I am looking at getting a pound of each-

Amarillo
Cascade
Chinook
Magnum (GR) - Cheaper than US, will I notice much difference?
Willamette
First Gold

What are your thoughts?

thanks for your input :mug:

Good choice on hopsdirect...great selection and prices there on almost all hops. I'd recommend adding some light finishing hops like Saaz and Tettnanger, for your lagers/pilsners and belgians. I've also found they go very well with wheat beers and blonde ales too.

I agree, you really need to balance that order with some noble hops!

Amarillo
Cascade
Chinook
Magnum (GR) - Cheaper than US, will I notice much difference?
Willamette
First Gold

When I ordered a month or so ago, I got:

Amarillo
Cascade
Hallertau (GR)
Galena (bittering hop, 11.5% IIRC)
Willamette

I would suggest getting something like Saaz or Hallertau also, but other than that, the list looks good. The 1lb of Willamette for $10.50 is a spectacular deal.

I would get some Tettnanger, Hallertau, Mt Hood, Saaz...

I wouldnt necessarily swap any of the current ones out, but add at least on noble hop, based on the styles that you typically brew.

When I ordered a month or so ago, I got:

Amarillo
Cascade
Hallertau (GR)
Galena (bittering hop, 11.5% IIRC)
Willamette

I would suggest getting something like Saaz or Hallertau also, but other than that, the list looks good. The 1lb of Willamette for $10.50 is a spectacular deal.

I was debating the Galena, it looked pretty enticing but have heard so much good about chinook and magnum.

So, between a hallertau, Saaz, or tettnager which would be better? What about fuggle? I'm pretty much hop illiterate at this point :drunk:

I was debating the Galena, it looked pretty enticing but have heard so much good about chinook and magnum.

So, between a hallertau, Saaz, or tettnager which would be better? What about fuggle? I'm pretty much hop illiterate at this point :drunk:

To add, just read the description of Saphir..

This hop has a low alpha acid content and is very well suited as an aroma hop for the finest European style lagers.A true jewel of the noble hop family with a refined aroma & a mild flavor. Sweet & clean citrus aroma that has a hint of tangerine.

That sounds pretty tasty...

I am really diggin the Tettnanger that I got from them, and it's a great deal at $17/lb. The others I like are Saaz and EKG's.

I just got a # of Saphir from them but haven't tried them yet. Here's what I have on hand (all from HD):

Saphir pellet
Styrian Golding pellet
Hersbrucker GR whole
Magnum GR whole
Willamette whole
Sorachi Ace whole

I read somewhere that Saphir can have a Tangerine note. Not a lot of info on Saphir and Sorachi Ace.

EDIT: forgot Centennial...which I really like so far.

I just got a # of Saphir from them but haven't tried them yet. Here's what I have on hand (all from HD):

Saphir pellet
Styrian Golding pellet
Hersbrucker GR whole
Magnum GR whole
Willamette whole
Sorachi Ace whole

I read somewhere that Saphir can have a Tangerine note. Not a lot of info on Saphir and Sorachi Ace.

Just put my order through, went with Saaz. I do look forward to hearing your thoughts on Saphir and Sorachi Ace. They both look interesting.

I also just put in an order this past weekend and got a pound each of Centennial, Cascade, Willamette, and EKG. I'm purely a PA and IPA brewer/drinker. I was tempted to get some Saaz as well, but figured it didn't really fit in with my style.

Back