Oak Cubes (Already Sanitized)?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bradfordmonk

Reaction score
I got two packets of 2oz Oak Cubes from Northern Brewer, they are in silver packs...are these packages already sanitized and able to just be dumped into secondary?

If I need to sanitize...how do I do it in a microwave (actual process...see alot of people mention it, but not how to do it)? I've soaked oak chips in vodka before, figure I could put the cubes in a mason jar with a little vodka, and just shake it up to make sure they get coated every once in a while over a week.

I am not sure this is the best way but it works for me- I always soak in my no rinse sanitizing solution then throw then in the secondary. Never had a issue but there may be a better way.

Come to think of it, this is what i do with my pears too, prior to peeling and pureeing them.

I've soaked in bourbon before but if you don't want to add bourbon or vodka then I would suggest steaming them. Wouldn't take more than a few minutes in steam.

Back