32oz flip top bottle bomb!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

southern brewer

Reaction score
Just ran into my very first bottle bomb. i was clearing out a case of bad beer (it had skunked because of a hot room). So i was dumping it in the sink and rinsing bottles. all the beer i was dumping out tasted real bad and it was over carbinated. try pouring a glass of beer and you got maybe an inch of beer and 5 inches of foam. the last one i had to open and dump was a 32 oz flip top grolch bottle. I was wise enough to point it away from me and turn my head. When i opened it, BOOOOM! it scared the CRAP out of me because it was so damn loud. I turned around and found that an 8 foot section of kitchen was covered in beer! Not to mention all of my recently cleaned bottles were drenched in beer. Spent about half an hour cleaning the mess up. and to think, i have one more flip top i have to dump out. I will be wise and open it up outside next time.

BOOOOM!

Haha! Save that last bottle and offer it to the next person who tries to take some of your home brew and not return the bottles :D

Kubed said:
Haha! Save that last bottle and offer it to the next person who tries to take some of your home brew and not return the bottles :D

Ahhh... the sweet explosion of revenge!

Jaybird said:
Nah take them up town and give them to the bumbs they will have a time with them LOL oh I know thats wrong still funny though
JJ

LOL. Thats too funny. It may be wrong but at least it gives some sort of humorous aspect to bottle bombs!

homebrewer_99 said:
next time open them in a sink and place a towel over the whole thing...
My thoughts exactly. I always open champagne that way, as once in a while you get a bottle that goes crazy, and a flying cork can do serious damage to eyes and other soft tissues. At least the flip-top lids are restrained by the cage.

It shot with such force that i'm surprised it didn't take the flip arm with it. man it was loud and messy

Is it just my imagination, but when I have overcarbonated grolsh bottles I can feel it in the cap. I put both thumbs on the wire to open them, and the ones that are going to pop very loudly are a little harder to push and just feel different. I might be crazy and just imagining it, but give it a gentle push, if it doesn't go, be prepared for the explosion.

I usually keg, but every once in a while I wind up with some extra that doesn't fit in the keg, instead of commiting alcohol abuse I bottle the extra and add a carbonation drop or spoonful of sugar and in a pinch I put a small squirt of maple syrup in the bottle. Luckily I use grolsh bottles and don't get bottle bombs, but frequently I overcarbonate because frankly I am pretty much guessing when I don't have the carbonation pills.

southern brewer said:
Just ran into my very first bottle bomb. i was clearing out a case of bad beer (it had skunked because of a hot room). So i was dumping it in the sink and rinsing bottles. all the beer i was dumping out tasted real bad and it was over carbinated. try pouring a glass of beer and you got maybe an inch of beer and 5 inches of foam. the last one i had to open and dump was a 32 oz flip top grolch bottle. I was wise enough to point it away from me and turn my head. When i opened it, BOOOOM! it scared the CRAP out of me because it was so damn loud. I turned around and found that an 8 foot section of kitchen was covered in beer! Not to mention all of my recently cleaned bottles were drenched in beer. Spent about half an hour cleaning the mess up. and to think, i have one more flip top i have to dump out. I will be wise and open it up outside next time.

BOOOOM!

:) I've had a couple that poped pretty loud, but never sprayed, probably because it was chilled. I had one that poped so quick the white cap came out of the rubber washer which stayed on the rim of the bottle.

Back