How much cocoa to add to oatmeal stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rich8932

Reaction score
I've had an oatmeal stoudt in the secondary for two weeks and I'd like to add some chocolate to it. I'm hoping it will help smooth things out and add a slight chocolate tone to the finish. According to Papazian powdered bakers cocoa is best, any suggestions on how much to add?

I would say no more than 8oz. A few of Jamil's recipes call for 8oz. of unsweetened cocoa, and they come out with pretty distinct chocolate notes.

I use 6-9oz of fat free cocoa in mine depending on if I want a little dark chocolate flavor or a whole lot of chocolate flavor. Usually 9oz cuz I really like chocolate in mine.

It depends on your grain bill too. I got into a discussion/debate/argument about how much chocolate is enough and our experiences were so different we chalked it up to different grain bills letting diffferent amounts of chocolate flavor to come though. I got good chocoate with 6 oz and lots with 9oz while someone else used up to 8 or 9 ounces and didn't taste any chocolate in it.

I used 2 oz on my double Chocolate stout with great results. Also I used Cocoa nibs in a Porter which was great 8 oz I believe.

I need to read posts better. Just saw that your beer is already in primary. I added my cocoa to the boil. If I were wanting to do it in secondary, I'd go with cocoa nibs.

I need to read posts better. Just saw that your beer is already in primary. I added my cocoa to the boil. If I were wanting to do it in secondary, I'd go with cocoa nibs.

Whoops. I missed that part too. Definitely wouldn't add the powder to the secondary. You could also consider adding Chocolate Extract at bottling. You just have to use VERY sparingly. But it works really well if you get good extract.

I would say no more than 8oz. A few of Jamil's recipes call for 8oz. of unsweetened cocoa, and they come out with pretty distinct chocolate notes.

Since I'm working towards a Southern Tier Choklat clone, how distinct would you say this is? I have read the Choklat threads, but there wasn't much in the way of positive results. So would you say this is choklaty like the Choklat or just a nice smooth chocolate flavor?

Since I'm working towards a Southern Tier Choklat clone, how distinct would you say this is? I have read the Choklat threads, but there wasn't much in the way of positive results. So would you say this is choklaty like the Choklat or just a nice smooth chocolate flavor?

The cocoa is more of a smooth chocolate flavor. Southern Tier adds chocolate extract at bottling in addition to what they do during the brew. That's how they get the Hershey's Bar in a glass thing with that beer.

I think a lot of us chocolate stout lovers would like to hear of ur Southern Tier clone results and recipe if they come close to the real thing. Me included.:mug:

Cheers and good luck.

I added a whole can of hersheys cocoa (8 oz I think) for 10 min in the boil. It also had 6 oz. of cold brewed coffee. Came out awesome.

Back