Music and you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LewisM

Reaction score
What are you lot all listening to lately then?

as for myself i'm going through a more relaxing period, lots of snow patrol, athlete, dido, the usuals :)

actually ive been listening to internet radio more than anything else right now. constantly changing playlist, free, and they play damn good music.

chronic aggresion on WinAmp radio mostly

been listening to my Ipod a lot more at work, I also listen to ESPN Radio on the internet too. The Ipod is chock full of stuff, mostly classic rock and new rock, my favs are Pink Floyd, The Who, The Killers, The Presidents of the USA, Beck, Rob Zombie, Ramones, and about 800 other songs.

95% of the time I dont listen to music and have on either talk radio or news, BUT when I do it's a pretty wierd mix

Most of what I own is Heavy Metel (Metalica, Judas Priest, Black Sabboth, Iron Madden, Rob Zombie and such) and Cletic music and bagpipes (7 Nations, Off Kilter, The Rogues, The Pouges, various pipe bands, and Irish drinking songs), but you can also thrown in there a good bit of some good old fashioned red neck bajo bluegrass in there too. I'm also a big fan of Blues Traveler and The Blue Man Group

I have a 30 gig iPod and about 200 gigs of music on my HD at home. I listen to A LOT.

But Manu Chao has been my fave for quite a while. Lately I've been listening to a lot of "Fall" music: Type O Negative, Slayer, etc.

The new Beck album is wonderful.

I listen to a lot of Atmosphere, which is a great hip hop group.
I also listen to my brothers band which is called Defamation League.

Lately it's been Zappa, Clutch, Misifts, Radiohead, and Beatles.

XM Satellite Radio... Deep Tracks.... it's all you need!

On Halloween they did "Night of the Live Dead" which was nonstop live Grateful Dead for like 6 hours... loved it...

Sirius, XM's competitor, is pretty good, too. I like the Classic Rewind, Buzzsaw, Octane, Hair Nation, and Vault channels.

They also have Howard Stern and Playboy if you like your talk radio with a lot of four letter words and stupidity. (yup, sometimes I do!)

There are a couple of new-ish bands I've been getting into lately - Wolfmother and Flyleaf come to mind. Pretty harsh, but better than a lot of the garbage that's come out recently.

omg, yea we have Sirius here at work. Between Howard and Bubba the love sponge, we can easily offend everyone by the time the day is over.

TxBrew said:
Radiohead
I don't think anyone's mentioned these guys before in the music threads on this site (Appologies if someone has!:) ). I've got a fair few of their albums but never seem to find time to listen to them properly.

sause said:
The Clash
And I didn't mention I've recently been listening to a few CD's worth of 'concert performances captured by the audience' from my favorite band of all time.....

I love Sirius, too. I listen to a lot of Outlaw Country, The Vault, Sirius Disorder, the blues channel (forgot the official name), and a bit of the classical stuff. What I really like is hearing lots of "radio unfriendly" stuff that's just amazing, as well as figuring exactly which tracks I'm interested in an buying just those tracks off of iTunes instead of buying an entire cd.

Lately I'd been listening to Old Crow Medicine Show, Steve Earle, Duke Robillard, and I did actually buy the latest Willie Nelson cd just because it's produced by Ryan Adams with the backing band being The Cardinals.

Caplan said:
I don't think anyone's mentioned these guys before in the music threads on this site (Appologies if someone has!:) ). I've got a fair few of their albums but never seem to find time to listen to them properly.

I find myself listening to Radiohead & Joy Division like a habit when it starts to feel and look like Winter.

:off: Hey Caplan, I thought they didn't allow that type of dog in UK? The one in your avatar.

Back on topic: There is a new radio station in the area, and they are still playing different music, and not too many commercials. Blondie, the Who, stuff I havn't heard in a while.

TxBrew said:
Joy Division
*Caplan falls off chair*

Bl**dy h*ll! Didn't think many US guys had heard them!
Classic UK post punk stuff, very dark but strangely uplifting (for me at least).

Sean said:
:off: Hey Caplan, I thought they didn't allow that type of dog in UK? The one in your avatar.
:off: He's my Staffordshire Bull Terrier (with full UK KC papers). He looks like 'that type of dog' (you mean American Pitbull I guess) on my avatar but he isn't. He's my 'Damn dog....' so I guess I have to love him!:D

The new Tragically Hip album is great and is in heavy rotation in my CD player. I also have the new Decemberists album (The Crane Wife) which is fantastic. The new Killers album is also on a lot in my car. I'm also a huge fan of many of the bands mentioned already (Clash, Pogues, Joy Division, etc.)

In the last few days: Golden Earring, Black Sabbath, Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Traffic, Robin Trower, Jefferson Airplane, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Bob Dylan, Ted Nugent, Aretha Franklin, and whatever kind of blues they happen to air on the Dish Network music channels.

Picked up a few new CD's.....one is a band called [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OfW3EftJS5Q]Death From Above 1979[/ame]. They're something else. Also picked up a couple Melvin's CDs (Houdini and Stoner Witch). All three have been in rotation when I actually have the chance to listen to music.

Evets said:
Lots of Bela Fleck, David Grisman, Sam Bush, Tim O'Brien, Blue Highway, bluegrassy stuff.
Bela Fleck is the man, and Victor Wooten just frickin' amazing.

How old (young) are you guys? Short of BEER FOR BREAKFASTs thread I don't recognize any of these bands! Have you ever heard of RUSH, the grandfathers of PROG. How about some great independent drummers like Dave Weckl, Billy Cobham, or Terry Bossio. Give a listen and learn something good.

drummer3 said:
How old (young) are you guys? Short of BEER FOR BREAKFASTs thread I don't recognize any of these bands! Have you ever heard of RUSH, the grandfathers of PROG. How about some great independent drummers like Dave Weckl, Billy Cobham, or Terry Bossio. Give a listen and learn something good.

Take a look at the How old are you thread for an age distribution of some of the recent active posters.

Yes, sorry to say, you and I are both on the declining side of the hump. We're getting old. :)

Think I'll break out one of my Jeff Beck CDs now and listen to some great guitar. And oh yeah, maybe I've got one with Carmine Appice on drums. Beck, Bogert, and Appice, hmmmmm. Good stuff.

Oh, I always thought Rush was a young band. They always reminded me of Yes.

Sean said:

You're confussing these 2 dogs

staffordshire-bull.terrier.jpg

PITBULL-TERRIER.jpg

drummer3 said:

The thread is about what you've been listening to lately. Even old guys try new stuff......don't they?

Pumbaa said:
You're confussing these 2 dogs

All the strength of a bulldog bred with the aggessiveness of a terrier!

I'm a total dog lover, but this is one breed that has no need to exist. I don't care what anyone says about them, it's a brutally aggressive dog. It's like having a pet wolf. I say to let the pit bull go extinct.

Cheesefood said:
All the strength of a bulldog bred with the aggessiveness of a terrier!

I'm a total dog lover, but this is one breed that has no need to exist. I don't care what anyone says about them, it's a brutally aggressive dog. It's like having a pet wolf. I say to let the pit bull go extinct.

Oh, I don't know if I really want to go here, but ... do poisonous snakes need to exist? How about crocodiles and alligators? What about people?

beer4breakfast said:
What about people?
You hit it on the head here really. Cheese mentioned having a 'Pet Wolf'. All dogs are just that, what ever size or breeding. They look to the Top Dog in the pack. They need a BOSS. A PERSON!!!
That's where a lot of people fail. THE BOSS should be a RESPONSIBLE DOG OWNER. THEY'RE responsible to train/socialize the dog. THEY'RE responsible to ensure the dog doesn't cause a menace to either other people or animals.
'Dog attacks' in the UK are reported in the Papers, but only if it's a Rottweiller, Mastiff or Alsatian.
Labradors or Jack Russells bite more people daily in the UK but Hey! Those breeds either originated in or have been in Britain for ages so it's old news.....

My Staffie shares the house/back yard with (apart from the us) an older fox terrier cross, a buck rabbit and various other dogs that come and go (A family member 'dog sits' for people when they holiday). No problems.
The rabbit is a real worry however......

Cheesefood said:

That's simply not a true statement. There's absolutely nothing inherently aggressive about pits, it's just that they are so often trained for fighting. My mutt is half pit bull (at least), and he's a sweetheart. He COULD f*ck you up if he wanted to, but he's no more aggressive than any other dog.

Along the pit bull lines - just think of the name. They ARE bred for aggressive-ness and strength. A beagle could flip out and want to fight you, but it wouldn't be that big a deal. A pit bull could kill you and a bunch of your neighbors. In my honest estimation, less than half of pit bull owners are responsible enough to own them.

Anout the original thread here? :D Lately? The Shins - one of the most promising indie bands in a while. Next album should be amazing. Stephen Malkmus - the brains behind Pavement can still write with the best of 'em, Face the Truth was landmark for his solo career. Two Gallants - their latest, and second, album has more concentrated emotional blues/rock/folk energy than their youth suggest. Iron and Wine - endless talent here.

I still can't ditch the Neil Young (Tonight's the Night, Everyboyd Knows...., Ragged Glory, Sleeps With Angels, Zuma, On the Beach), the Stones (EXILE, Goat Head's, Let It Bleed, Some Girls), Creedence (all except Mardi Gras), Dylan (Highway 61, Blonde on Blonde), Beatles (LEt It Be, Abbey Road, Revolver). That group just never gets old.

""All the strength of a bulldog bred with the aggessiveness of a terrier!

I'm a total dog lover, but this is one breed that has no need to exist. I don't care what anyone says about them, it's a brutally aggressive dog. It's like having a pet wolf. I say to let the pit bull go extinct.""

Anyone who has ever owned or know a pitbull, or staff, (because they are the same breed) knows that they are THE most reliable, stable, and trustworthy breed. Anyone who has not, is just talking out there a$$.

I saw a headline scroll by at the bottom of the TV screen on CNN this past Friday that said that owner's of pit bulls, as a group, tend to have a higher number of criminal convictions than owners of gentler breeds.

I wonder if this sort of meaningless tidbit is part of an effort at laying the groundwork for making it illegal to own a pit bull? Wouldn't surprise me, if so.

Here's a similar news article Bad dogs tend to happen to bad people. How's that for neutral reporting?

Back