Help with my first extract brew.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SilverAnalyst

Reaction score
Hi all

I've been brewing kits for a while now and I think I have that down. My last couple of kits turned out really well. Now I'd like to make something a little more complicated. Therefore I'm turning to extract brewing.

From what I can gather, all I need for a simple recipe is spray malt and hops. I only have a one gallon pot though, can I make do with this for now?

Do you have any simple recipes I can try which just involve spray malt and hops.

Thanks for any help!

Pilsner lagers and Golden Ales are about the only beers that would not require steeping a specialty grain. Steeping is extremely easy. You're biggest problem is the bittering limit. A one gallon boil means a maximum IBU in the final batch of 18, because 90 IBU is about as high as you can get.

You could do wheats, but that requires a malt/wheat extract.

go invest in a bigger pot now. You will enjoy how easy and great the malt extract brewing beers are. I know I love them, and I'm ready to jump to PM or AG soon

I know I'm right :D

I have a crab steaming pot, and I want a bigger one already!

get a nice 30 qt stainless pot...worth the money...although for partial boils you only need a 3-4 gallon pot.

for an extract brew, i personally would start with a hefeweizen...this being summer and all ;)

they're easy to make...about the simplest recipe out there.

wait...what is "spray malt"?

To address your question about recipes for extract, I would first browse through the recipe database on this board. Second, there are many extract recipes in Charlie Papazian's "Joy of Homebrewing". He gives guidlines for making many different styles of beer with extracts. Also, John Palmer's "How to Brew" has some extract recipes. Both of those books also have a lot of good info about brewing in general.

Edit: How to Brew (1st edition) is available on line at howtobrew.com.

Back