Should I carb?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fathand

Reaction score
I made the following 5 gallon batch

Brewed 9/4/10

12 clover
Water to make 5 gallons of total must
K1V1116

Aerated and added Nutrient per the staggered approach

OG 1.048* on 9/04/10
SG 1.002 on 12/2/10 (has been 1.002 for a few weeks)

*I believe this is wrong due to all the honey not being blended at time I took the gravity reading.

I have this cold crashing right now as I am trying to get as much yeast to drop out as possible.

Now I'd love to add about 5 to 6 oz. of additional honey at bottling (12 oz beer bottles) so this carbs. If by adding this honey it doesn't carb and just sweetens it a little I am OK with that. What I don't want to happen is have bottles bombs on my hands.

So to those that are more experienced do I run the risk of creating bombs if I add 5 oz of honey at bottling? Or should I Sorbate and Sulfate this and bottle it still?

I would strongly encourage anyone to avoid doing this. Yes, I see for some people it seems to work, but then, some people have parachutes malfunction and live.

If you have bottle with 2 volumes of CO2 carbonation (reasonable beer levels) and you heat the bottle to 190F, the pressure in the bottle will be 98 PSI. Beer bottles aren't really designed for that level of pressure (I think they may test them at 60 PSI but don't quote me). If you have 3 volumes of CO2 you'll be at 135 PSI. Glass is extremely unpredictable when it comes to shattering and faults and if you reach in to grab 190 F bottle with 100-135 PSI in you are just begging for grief.

I have no problem with pasteurization, but heating carbonated liquid in glass bottles is not a safe practice at home.

Medsen

Thanks all.

Medsen thank you for your reply here and at the other Mead site.

I think will add some yeast hulls and warm the batch and see if I can get it to ferment further as you suggested.

After a bottle bomb took out two shelves in my fridge (yeah, it was in there for three months before it blew) I'm militant about carbonation--it is done is metal, no exceptions. I would *never* put a carbed glass bottle in 190F water. If I want a carbed beverage with a little residual sweetness I use non-fermentable sweeteners. Or, campden it, force carb, and bottle the results. But nowadays no beverage goes into glass before I am 100% certain it is already stable.

Back