Best part of fall

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustang64

Reaction score
So about 4 weeks ago some neighbors and I got together and scoured the area for apple trees, knocked on many doors and loaded up. We pressed somewhere in the 300-350lb range of apples on a press we rented from MUD (missoula urban demonstration project-if your town doesn't have one you should start one!) and wound up with about 18 gallons of the sweetest cider i have ever tasted. we canned and bottled about 8 gallons and stuck the other 10 into the carboys with lalvin D-47. Nothing else added. We bottled about a week and a half ago and had a taste then and the stuff was amazing! a glass and a half had me a little dizzy so this stuff is STRONG. Can't wait for the finished product!

Sounds awesome... Even more so because you're drinking it in the 'Snake, one of my favorite mt. biking/hiking/snowshoeing places in the world.

I've got a neighbor who probably has 1000 lbs of apples rotting on his lawn, about half winesaps. Unfortunately, he isn't very friendly.

I planted 5 apple trees 3 years ago and have one older tree. The latter has these weird white-skinned apples that are either unripe or mushy. The deer like them.

I planted 5 apple trees 3 years ago and have one older tree. The latter has these weird white-skinned apples that are either unripe or mushy. The deer like them.

Go over, say hi, offer him a couple of bottles of homebrew while you talk about the weather, then ask him if he minds if you keep the apples from rotting on his yard.
If he says no, then your out a few bottles of brew, if he says yes you get tons of cider, hard cider and maybe, just maybe even a friend.

Back