Do I aerate my wort or am I okay on the safe side?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I am just reading this article from John Palmer and I am wondering if my wort chilling practice is bad.

I dont have a good chilling system...I use an ice-bath, but the pot is not only submerged in icy water...but I also stir the wort to speed up the chilling. I stir without splashing (I tend to stir gently....just to move the wort. This way the cooling process is faster). I am wondering if I aerate my wort badly this way...and if oxygen binds this way with things in the wort?

Cheers

2 things:

1. aeration can be bad above a certain temperature (not sure what temp that is. help me, HBT; you're my only hope!) but once you cool down, aeration is needed for the yeast
  2. some consider hot-side aeration a myth.
your chilling method is good, I do it the same way. I avoid aeration while it's warm and focus on just getting the wort down to pitching temps as soon as possible. then aerate and pitch

No. By stirring gently,you aren't causing any hot side aeration,which many of us are starting to think is another boogieman like yeast autolysis on our scale of brewing. I do the same thing myself with no ill effects. It's a good thing to stir for a lil better heat transfer. Just do it gently,smoothly. save the rough,agressive stirring for later when mixing wort & top off. The faster it cools down to pitch temp,the beeter for clarity later.

Some feel there is a think called hot side oxidation. I think it is a myth.

After the wort is cooled and any top up water is added it is it is necessary that you aerate if you are using liquid yeast. Some say it is not needed if using dry yeast.

You can shake the fermenter with a lot of splashing or pour the wort back and forth a couple of times bucket to bucket.

Like I said,boiling drives off dissolved o2. Aeration after wort is chilled is very good for all yeasts,dry or wet ime. And rehydrating dry yeast also speeds things up a little. I think hot side aeration is mostly a myth,but I don't invite disaster by beeing sloppy either.

Back