American wheat/ Will this work?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoppinghog

Reaction score
So was gonna make a Belgian wit but have decided to flip my recipe on its ear and make an american wheat and wanted to see what you guys think.

Here's what I've got:

6.3 lbs. Liquid wheat malt extract (65/35)
0.5 lb. Crystal malt (10L)
0.5 lb. Torrefied wheat
0.5 lb. Rahr white wheat malt
0.5 lb. Flaked wheat
1 ounce coriander seeds
3 zests of oranges (fresh)
2 lb. Orange blossom honey
1 ounce cascade hops (6.2)
1 ounce UK Kent goldings hops (5.8)
Safale US-05 yeast

So my main questions are should I use the Kent goldings with the cascade together or just do the cascade by themselves for say a 60 minute boil? Or should I just use the Kent goldings for a 60 minute boil by themselves?

What I'm going for is kind of a shock top/blue moon type beer but better and maybe slightly hoppier while still being smooth to drink.

Oh and the coriander will boiled with a late steep addition along with a orange zest boil/late steep and subsequent "dry hop" with the orange zest either in secondary or keg.

Also the grains will be steeped at 155 degrees for 30 minutes prior to boil and mixing with extract, hops, etc.

Anyway hope that makes since. So what do you guys think? Crazy bad, crazy good, or just average? Anything to change, add, etc.?

Any and all responses are welcome and greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

If the EKG is all you have (besides the cascade) for bittering then I would use it for that, but if possible Id save it for an english style for another brew...kinda a waste of the typical english hop in my opinion. Last witbier I made I added cascade at 15 min to the end of the boil and it worked well. So i definitely recommend the cascade towards the end.

If the EKG is all you have (besides the cascade) for bittering then I would use it for that, but if possible Id save it for an english style for another brew...kinda a waste of the typical english hop in my opinion. Last witbier I made I added cascade at 15 min to the end of the boil and it worked well. So i definitely recommend the cascade towards the end.

Yeah unfortunately that's all I have.

I was thinking the goldings for 60 min. and then the cascade for 15 min. like you said but would that be to many IBU's? According to the calculator I'm using with a 3.5 gallon boil that'd put it at 27.83 IBU's. Is that to much for an American wheat?

How many IBU's should I shoot for?

Well I just downloaded beersmith and ran this recipe through it.

Everything showed to be in line with an American wheat with the exception of the color which was 7.5 SRM so slightly darker than what it should be due to the extract which I can live with.

The IBU's were a little on the high side but still in the green as well as the ABV but again still acceptable.

I think my hop schedule will be 1 oz. UK Goldings for 60 min. with 1/2 oz. Cascade additions at 10 and 5 minutes at the end of the boil to keep the IBU's in check and hopefully get some good citrus aroma from the cascades to complement the orange zest and coriander.

I dunno how this will all turnout but I'm doing it tomorrow so wish me luck as this will be the first recipe I've come up with on my own.

Cheers!:mug:

Well I just downloaded beersmith and ran this recipe through it.

Everything showed to be in line with an American wheat with the exception of the color which was 7.5 SRM so slightly darker than what it should be due to the extract which I can live with.

The IBU's were a little on the high side but still in the green as well as the ABV but again still acceptable.

I think my hop schedule will be 1 oz. UK Goldings for 60 min. with 1/2 oz. Cascade additions at 10 and 5 minutes at the end of the boil to keep the IBU's in check and hopefully get some good citrus aroma from the cascades to complement the orange zest and coriander.

I dunno how this will all turnout but I'm doing it tomorrow so wish me luck as this will be the first recipe I've come up with on my own.

Cheers!:mug:

Sounds good on the hopping! Should be pretty tasty. Good Luck! :mug:

Back