One week diacetyl rest, still have some off flavors

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mattclough

Reaction score
A while back I brewed a an all-grain light doppelbock, OG 1.074, but rather than using lager yeast, because I don't have the capability of reliably maintaining lager temperatures, I went for White Labs German Ale/Kölsch yeast which ferments at temperatures as low as 55F. I'm still learning a lot about the finer points of brewing. I was not aware that for a high gravity beer such as this one I should have made a yeast starter, so I just pitched the yeast directly from the vial at 70F and gave it a good sloshing (I need to improve my aeration techniques as well). Now, all these poor yeast practices aside, the gravity dropped to 1.020 within a week. At this point I brought the primary up to around 65F for a week-long diacetyl rest, after which I transfered to conditioning for a week, and then bottled. I know carbonation on high-alcohol beers is supposed to take a little bit longer, but about a week and a half after bottling and sitting at about 65F for a week and a half, I opened one up to see what was going on, and it had really strong honey taste. Diacetyl gives the beer the butterscotch taste, but 2,3-pentanedione gives the honey taste. Does the diacetyl rest take care of diacetyl and not pentanedione. How could the beer be heavy in one and not the other? If I let these sit in bottles for a few more weeks, could that possibly take care of the pentanedione?

Time heals all beer.

'cept when it doesn't!

I've never heard of a diacetyl rest cleaning up pentanedione. I am no scientist, but I think the stressed yeast (from underpitching and such a cool temperature, which greater stresses the yeast) is the cause. Aging might help, but usually aging doesn't fix things like diacetyl, pentanedione, esters, fusels, etc.

Thanks guys. I really need to improve my yeast wrangling. I recently finished making a stir plate so that ought to help me avoid this in the future. The worst part is I can tell that it would have a great malty taste if not for the crazy honey flavor.

Back