I think I made beer last night

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoelM

Reaction score
Not my first all grain brew day but my first stout. I had all my stuff ready and had my process in writing in front of me. Mash water up to temp and the mash tun ready for the grain and water. Mixed everything up, put the digital thermometer in, and closed the lid. Everything on schedule. What the …. The mash temp reads 165 degrees, can’t be. Reset thermometer and try again, still mid 160’s, added some cold water – no change. Have a home brew and relax.
After an hour or so I was going to do the old iodine test but no iodine….now what happened to that?! Ah well, not much to do but sparg and start the boil. Hit the pre-boil volume and away we go. Smells good and looks just like used motor oil. Drained into the carboy, pitched the yeast, and put on the air lock. This morning there was nice airlock activity and about 1” of toffee colored krausen on top. I think I made Beer! First ingredient for the next brew is a new thermometer!

You should treat yourself and buy a Thermapen! Or you can buy a lesser thermometer and have to replace it down the road, but chances are the Thermapen will be the last one you buy.

Back