Clone Beer Founder's Breakfast Stout Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Post your recipe from beer calculus here if you can.
Here is a screen shot of the fermentables.

Screen Shot 2012-10-04 at 1.35.55 PM.jpg

Looks like beer calculus is jacked up. They probably have the max extraction value off for one of the grains. No other explanation that I can think of...

But, now that I think of it, Beer Pal showed 1.102 as well. I actually got 1.088. No idea what's going on there.

Looks like beer calculus is jacked up. They probably have the max extraction value off for one of the grains. No other explanation that I can think of...

But, now that I think of it, Beer Pal showed 1.102 as well. I actually got 1.088. No idea what's going on there.
Oh ok, well at least I'm not the only one. Makes me feel better that other applications are showing the same OG. Thanks for your help.

I think the OP wasn't getting 75% efficiency. I used 13lb of 2 row to get 1.086.
i think this is it. i used 11 pounds of base malt to get to 1.081.

from the outset i wanted my stout to be a bit lighter than the OP's so i started low and ramped up the base malt until i hit my desired gravity. didn't occur to me to go back and compare my final numbers to the original. had i done that i would have noticed that my version had a lot less malt than the OP's. anyhoo, just cut down your 2-row until you get to 1.086 or whatever OG you want. leave the other ingredients as they are. they're all crystals so efficiency doesn't come into play. actually i take that back: the oatmeal needs to be converted. you could cut back the oatmeal if you wanted to, no biggie if you didn't IMO. it would just give your stout extra thickness/chewiness.

just to be sure: you recipe is set at 5 gallons, right? it's cut off in the screenshot.

i think this is it. i used 11 pounds of base malt to get to 1.081.

from the outset i wanted my stout to be a bit lighter than the OP's so i started low and ramped up the base malt until i hit my desired gravity. didn't occur to me to go back and compare my final numbers to the original. had i done that i would have noticed that my version had a lot less malt than the OP's. anyhoo, just cut down your 2-row until you get to 1.086 or whatever OG you want. leave the other ingredients as they are. they're all crystals so efficiency doesn't come into play. actually i take that back: the oatmeal needs to be converted. you could cut back the oatmeal if you wanted to, no biggie if you didn't IMO. it would just give your stout extra thickness/chewiness.

just to be sure: you recipe is set at 5 gallons, right? it's cut off in the screenshot.
That makes sense. I could lower the 2-row. This may be a dumb question, but when you say start low and ramp up the base malt until I hit the gravity I want, you are talking about doing that in beer calculus right?

That makes sense. I could lower the 2-row. This may be a dumb question, but when you say start low and ramp up the base malt until I hit the gravity I want, you are talking about doing that in beer calculus right?

Yep. Put in your standard efficiency, then lower the 2 row until you hit the desired OG. Note: With a beer this high you might come in a little lower on efficiency. I normally am in the 75-76 range and hit 73% with this beer.

yeah, that's it. i started low and ramped up in hopville/BC. you could just as easily start at 16 lbs and step down until you hit your desired OG. either way: make a change, hit save to "commit" that change, then see what impact it has on OG. continue until you hit desired OG.

Can a Gambrinus European-style 2-row work instead of the american 2-row? I am having trouble finding the american 2-row

Can a Gambrinus European-style 2-row work instead of the american 2-row? I am having trouble finding the american 2-row
european would be just fine. any subtlety between euro and american will be bulldozed by the coffee, dark malts, oats, chocolate, etc. you won't notice the differences.

Apologies if this was already covered in this thread (I read through about 30 pages of the thread). I am going to brew the extract version of this recipe, but am a bit confused on what to do with the specialty grains. Do I steep them, or do a mini-mash? And perhaps a more pertinent question - is there a difference when just dealing with specialty grains? The guy who owns my LHBS said that, for this, all I need to do is steep them.

Any of your help would be appreciated. This will be my third beer I've ever brewed, so I know I am jumping off the deep end with this one, but it sounds so frieking delicious. Thanks!

Apologies if this was already covered in this thread (I read through about 30 pages of the thread). I am going to brew the extract version of this recipe, but am a bit confused on what to do with the specialty grains. Do I steep them, or do a mini-mash? And perhaps a more pertinent question - is there a difference when just dealing with specialty grains? The guy who owns my LHBS said that, for this, all I need to do is steep them.

Any of your help would be appreciated. This will be my third beer I've ever brewed, so I know I am jumping off the deep end with this one, but it sounds so frieking delicious. Thanks!

Big beer for the newbie.

I'd steep them, you should be fine. If you have the ability to mini mash and add some 2 row, you would be better off!

The recipe is straight forward. I'd stick to adding the coffee ultra late in the boil, and add more at bottling with a cold steeped coffee to hold back the acrid bitterness. It'll age out, but it'll be ready quickly, IMO, with it being added late.

Snow this morning here in CO had me break into the few bottles I stashed from last year. The beer was great after a couple of months and has held up well for the last year

Snow this morning here in CO had me break into the few bottles I stashed from last year. The beer was great after a couple of months and has held up well for the last year

Wow... snow?

It's been cool here in GA, but I'm just now putting on a short sleeve windbreaker in the mornings when I play golf!

FATC1TY said:
Wow... snow?

It's been cool here in GA, but I'm just now putting on a short sleeve windbreaker in the mornings when I play golf!

Yep, high in low 40s today, but will be back around 80 mid week.

Bought the grains for this recipe today! Brewing this one soon! Even though I only live 40 minutes from Founders. Breakfast Stout seems thin to me this year. Anyone else had this years vintage.

Bought the grains for this recipe today! Brewing this one soon! Even though I only live 40 minutes from Founders. Breakfast Stout seems thin to me this year. Anyone else had this years vintage.

It is thinner this year.. A drop off for sure from the norm. I wonder if it's them cutting corners because they've turned out to be so big in the last years..

Makes me worried about KBS this year for sure.

FATC1TY said:
It is thinner this year.. A drop off for sure from the norm. I wonder if it's them cutting corners because they've turned out to be so big in the last years..

Makes me worried about KBS this year for sure.

KBS is overrated like TF Dark Lord. My opinion only. Others will disagree.

I go to founders regularly. This year's breakfast stout is exactly the same as last year's at the same time of year. In a few months it will be at its sweet spot.

I wouldn't say KBS is overrated... Absolutely delicious. Just had one yesterday, and it just makes me smile. I would consider it in the top 3 stouts that I've ever had. Yum.

KBS is overrated like TF Dark Lord. My opinion only. Others will disagree.

I'll disagree, but understand people have different tastes so it's okay.. It doesn't have to be rated to taste good in some cases. I enjoy KBS very much so. I think it's one of the best BBA stouts.

Hopping Frog Boris the crusher and Bourbon County Stout blow both of KBS & BS out of the water. Don't get me wrong, I love Breakfast Stout. That's why I'll be brewing this one this coming weekend.

Winters49441 said:
Hopping Frog Boris the crusher and Bourbon County Stout blow both of KBS & BS out of the water. Don't get me wrong, I love Breakfast Stout. That's why I'll be brewing this one this coming weekend.

C'mon man. That would make KBS and BS about a 6 outta 10 then, considering you haven't said where Kate the Great would rate either.

I brewed the all grain version of this recipe on Saturday. I was thinking about cold pressing flavored coffee for my secondary. Does that present any issues since the coffee beans are flavored with oil? Should I just stick with a basic kona instead?

I brewed the all grain version of this recipe on Saturday. I was thinking about cold pressing flavored coffee for my secondary. Does that present any issues since the coffee beans are flavored with oil? Should I just stick with a basic kona instead?

Flavored coffee? I would go with Kona. I just bottled this last night, and it is REMARKABLY close to the real thing in both taste and armoa.

Flavored coffee? I would go with Kona. I just bottled this last night, and it is REMARKABLY close to the real thing in both taste and armoa.
Ya, I saw vanilla coffee and a creme brulee flavored coffee. I was seeing if anyone had used anything like this. I have heard rumors that the oils may mess with the head of the beer.. I'll just play it save and get kona or something like that.

Ya, I saw vanilla coffee and a creme brulee flavored coffee. I was seeing if anyone had used anything like this. I have heard rumors that the oils may mess with the head of the beer.. I'll just play it save and get kona or something like that.

Well the oils from the chocolate will kill the head on this beer. FBS doesn't produce much head at all. That's just the way the beer actually is. On tap, in a bottle, doesn't matter.

Brewed the extract version today. Threw in 2oz cocoa powder and 2 oz ghiradelli 60%. Also did 2 oz coarse ground dark roast at flame out. My OG came in at 1.074. Should I be worried? I want this thing to come in around 7.5%...is it going to get there? Since this is only the 2nd brew I've done I'm not quite sure.

Brewed the extract version today. Threw in 2oz cocoa powder and 2 oz ghiradelli 60%. Also did 2 oz coarse ground dark roast at flame out. My OG came in at 1.074. Should I be worried? I want this thing to come in around 7.5%...is it going to get there? Since this is only the 2nd brew I've done I'm not quite sure.

I'd suspect it'll come in around 7%... finish no better than 1.020 if you are lucky.

The extract recipe on this thread came in around 7% too. I suppose that's fine. Airlock started bubbling after about 3 hours, and is going gangbusters now (7am) after only 18 hours. Hope that's a good sign! Anyone else had luck with the extract version?

If you get 75% attenuation (what I got) you should get down to 1.018, which would give you 7.5%

Good luck!

Keep it cool the first 1-4 days while fermentation is at it's highest. It's generating at least 5 degrees additional heat over room temperature!

Cheers!

It's in my basement right now, which is measuring around 66 degrees. So fingers crossed, that will be good for the S-05. I put two packets in. Here's hoping it doesn't blow the lid off while I am at work!

It's in my basement right now, which is measuring around 66 degrees. So fingers crossed, that will be good for the S-05. I put two packets in. Here's hoping it doesn't blow the lid off while I am at work!

65 degrees sounds good......but if you've got a standard 5.25 gallons of liquid in a standard 6.5 gallon bucket, I hope you're using a blowoff hose, because I'm betting that with two packets of S-05, yeah, your lid is hitting the ceiling. That's why I switched to 7 gal. buckets......

65 degrees sounds good......but if you've got a standard 5.25 gallons of liquid in a standard 6.5 gallon bucket, I hope you're using a blowoff hose, because I'm betting that with two packets of S-05, yeah, your lid is hitting the ceiling. That's why I switched to 7 gal. buckets......

Have you brewed this? The chocolate oils should kill any krausen that decides to creep. I would highly doubt that you would need a blowoff. I used S-04 (two packets) which, in my experience, is far more vigorous than S-05, and had the tiniest krausen I've ever seen. Might have been an inch.

It's a shade under 5 gallons, but yeah, I am certainly worried about that. I saw a post in this thread that someone said they brewed this recipe and had no problems with their airlock. So I am hopeful. If it does blow the lid, am I screwed?

Have you brewed this? The chocolate oils should kill any krausen that decides to creep. I would highly doubt that you would need a blowoff. I used S-04 (two packets) which, in my experience, is far more vigorous than S-05, and had the tiniest krausen I've ever seen. Might have been an inch.

Yes. And, not in mine. Didn't use a blowoff hose, just a standard airlock. And the krausen line was about 1 inch or a bit more from the lid when I opened it after a month. I used 4 oz. of Baker's chocolate, screw the nibs. Beer was phenomenal.

Back