The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man City at Newcastle should be the game that determines the title. The other matches for City and United should all be wins, though you never know. Which Newcastle will show up? But Newcastle fans hate ManU.

Go back to ManU blowing the lead against Everton. What a disaster that was.

So I saw this image of Buddle on MLSsoccer.com
sounders-vs.%2C-la.jpg

...and immediately thought of this (Chubby Bubble Kid, a popular and hilarious meme)
enhanced-buzz-19864-1252775364-1.png

tumblr_lrviizgC5g1qcxcjfo1_500.jpg

chubby-bubbles-girl-vs-zombies.png

1252473274730.jpg

Reno, Did Arena give any reason for not starting Galaxy's usual 11 tonight?

Not that I saw... but my guess is to ensure I rip my hair out.

But F*********CK that Montero goal was impressive. Like goal-of-the-year-in-any-league-in-the-world impressive.

Hmm, interesting news. Toronto FC might actually turn themselves around if this goes through:

The potential new owners of Toronto FC also got a result on Wednesday. The Canadian Competition Bureau said it will not challenge the proposed takeover by Bell and Rogers Communications of current TFC owners Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment.

1) I'm assuming the CCB is similar to Anti-Trust agencies in America.

2) Maple Leaf Sports and Entertainment has done a stellar job of driving TFC into the ground and alienating their fans.

3) Bell and Rogers Communications is quite possibly the biggest company in Canada and they are already wrists-deep in North American soccer (WCFC jersey sponsor as well as the broadcasters of every Canadian MLS match not on TSN.)

Is there a silver-lining on the cloud that has been sitting over the Reds since their induction to the league?

Toronto, the club you look at when you b itch about how bad your club is run and then realize ..."it could be worse."

Well, you guys have talked about this goal. I just can't figure out why nobody has posted it yet! (Need something amazing to look at while waiting for new posts)

Last edited by a moderator:
Got me some Timbers Army tickets to Saturday's game against the Columbus Crew. Should be pretty interesting with Cinco De Mayo.

Oh I didn't realize that overlap... awesome.

Also, Happy Star Wars Day. May the Fourth be with you.

Well, you guys have talked about this goal. I just can't figure out why nobody has posted it yet! (Need something amazing to look at while waiting for new posts)

It's usually pointless to post EPL goals because they take them down. I tend to think goals are a pretty good advertisement for the sport, but they apparently don't agree.

Not that I saw... but my guess is to ensure I rip my hair out.

But F*********CK that Montero goal was impressive. Like goal-of-the-year-in-any-league-in-the-world impressive.

Yea, it was pretty slick, fun game to watch. (I was at the game, got free tickets from my girlfriends coworker...)

IKP1H.jpg

Crap.... ICE seized First Row Sports... that's where I watch at least 80% of my MLS Live black-out matches.

Now searching will just take a bit longer. TO THE EURO SITES!!!

EDIT: HA!! I'm an idiot! :fro: Chromium is set up to sync my bookmarks. It decided to change my First Row link from .eu to .tv :D :D

Congratulations to TFC for their record-breaking 0-8-0 start to the season!

Sweet shots and nice seats!

TA always brings it. Too bad the men on the field couldn't finish.

Sweet shots and nice seats!

TA always brings it. Too bad the men on the field couldn't finish.

Yeah, they had quite a few opportunities. You could see Boyd getting frustrated with the rest of the team. There were a couple times where he set it up perfectly but nobody was there. I saw them pull up a few times instead of sprinting for an open ball. Chara had an obvious one. Didn't look like he was injured, but he totally let up on a ball that would have been his.

Defense, however was a completely different story. They played MUCH better. That may be because Jewsbury was moved back to D. They had much more energy and were anticipating better. Perkins had a couple sweet saves and got some good backup.

Based on how many plays he held up and how many shots he personally stopped, I'd say moving Jewsbury back was one of the best strategic moves I've seen Spencer (and many other managers) make.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible said:
So.....The EPL needed play offs to make an exciting finish to the season, did it? ;)

Touché - La liga as well ended pretty well with the Classico.

The only thing I still don't like is that essentially these leaves have a couple of good teams (I know epl perhaps is more populated at the top than spain) play offs won't necessarily fix that though. Still damn fun to watch

Now, I need to find me a mls team to make my own...too much food soccer but without a home team or one that I gravitate towards its tough to get into it

Congratulations to TFC for their record-breaking 0-8-0 start to the season!
I almost feel sorry for them.

Almost.

Yeah, they had quite a few opportunities. You could see Boyd getting frustrated with the rest of the team. There were a couple times where he set it up perfectly but nobody was there. I saw them pull up a few times instead of sprinting for an open ball. Chara had an obvious one. Didn't look like he was injured, but he totally let up on a ball that would have been his.

Defense, however was a completely different story. They played MUCH better. That may be because Jewsbury was moved back to D. They had much more energy and were anticipating better. Perkins had a couple sweet saves and got some good backup.

So... I wouldn't take too much from this game. Columbus have been awful so far this year, and only have 20 healthy players right now. Our starting center backs are the third unit, and up top we were running a rookie alongside Renteria, who we are converting to a wing midfielder. Oh, and our GK is a career backup. We're a M*A*S*H unit.

If we have another injury up top, and get Marshall, James, or Mendes back, I think we might actually try Williams out as a striker.

What a mental end to the Premier League!

Citeh steal it with 2 goals in stoppage time.

Arsenal barely secure 3rd and now Spurs are at the whim of the the CL result next weekend. As a Gooner I'm fully backing Chelsea to win now!

Man I'm buzzing right now!

aygov said:

Arsenal barely secure 3rd and now Spurs are at the whim of the the CL result next weekend. As a Gooner I'm fully backing Chelsea to win now!

That was crazy...who would have thought it would end up like that

That was crazy. Balotelli's redemption! I wish he and Barton had been on the field all game so I could have bet on would be ejected first.

What a finish! How long has it been since City last won? Like 40 years?

Also.... WHAT THE F**K IS WRONG WITH YOU, LA?! WHY?! You have a retarded amount of talent on your squad but you can't seem to be able to do ANYTHING!! Granted, Donovan Ricketts had an amazing second half.... but even without considering the 1%ers (Donovan, Beckham, Keane) the G's have more than enough to dominate like they did last year. Juninho, Dunivant, Buddle, Magee (THE MOTHERF**KING HIGHLANDER, FOR CRAPS SAKE!).... why are you making me so sad?

WHHHHHHHYYYY?!?!

And oh damn, Philly just scored in their first possession of the second half.

Union: 2
RBNY: 1

I wish I could do something that impressive in just 22 seconds :D

I'm sorry, but I just get so much joy watching this. Seeing Fergie go from elation to shock to disappointment all in the span of a few seconds.... priceless!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/E02dd_t23_s" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bah! I want Tottenham to make the CL, even if I'm not sure they're really good enough to do anything there. And it kind of sucks for them that 4th place would usually be enough to qualify.

Aaaand Bolton wanders down to 2nd Tier.

You should have stayed in NY, Tim Ream :D

Bah! I want Tottenham to make the CL, even if I'm not sure they're really good enough to do anything there. And it kind of sucks for them that 4th place would usually be enough to qualify.

I just want to twist the knife now. With all their "Mind the Gap!" and North London power shift nonsense they were spouting 3 months ago them getting screwed out of a CL place would be a fitting bit of karma. They might have to put the whole of that area on suicide watch if that happens though...

Wow.... Red Bulls give Chivas Juan Aguldelo for Heath Pearce. Dumb move, if you ask me.

Also, NEW MLS FANTASY GAME! The "Pick 'Em" game is back and I've created a group. "Homebrewtalk."

Here's what you do:

1) Go to http://games.mlssoccer.com/pickem

2) Sign up, pick your name

3) Click the "Groups" tab at the top

4) Search for "Homebrewtalk"

5) Password is "hbt"

6) Start pickin'!

Not only that, but it's finally official that Danny Califf is going to Chivas USA in exchange for middie Michael Lahoud.

Just another step in Peter Nowaks evil plan to dismantle a club that was looking pretty solid at the end of 2011.

Back