Apfelwein with an Ale yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RotorHead6

Reaction score
I would like to make an Apfelwein using the following:

5 Gallons of 100% apple juice.
2 pounds of (Dextrose) corn sugar
White Labs American Ale Yeast Blend WLP060

I would like some opinions on if this is possible with the ingredients above to make a good Apfelwein. The reason I want to use the american ale yeast is I have it in a primary right now. I'm hoping with using an ale yeast that it will produe a sweeter apfelwein. If anyone has any links of apfelweins with an ale yeast please share. Thanks

I personally haven't made it with an ale yeast, but I know that there are those that have. You may want to check out the monster Apfelwein thread for more information.

I use T-58 dry ale yeast.

According to a German couple it tastes just like the real stuff from Hessen in Germany.

PS - not carbonated or extra sweetned as the original apfelwein is not either.

Vels said:
I use T-58 dry ale yeast.

According to a German couple it tastes just like the real stuff from Hessen in Germany.

PS - not carbonated or extra sweetned as the original apfelwein is not either.

Vels,

Great to hear from Denmark! Thansk for the info in your post. My best friend that I brew with was a exchange student in Copenhagen back in 1995. He had a great time over there and learned a lot about the culture. His host friend (Alex) was a great guy. We still want to plan a trip to copenhagen and will def. take the train to Amsterdam if we get the chance!! Since then I got married so I guess I beeter plan on getting permission from the wife first!! Cheers

I like to use danster windsor ale yeast. It gives it a fruity note, a little sweet.
i like it!

I used Nottingham on my last batch. I have yet to see how it turns out....smells good though!

RotorHead6 said:
With wlp300 how did it turn out?
That's the setup I've got going right now. The smell coming out of the air lock is fantastic, but when i stole a little taste this afternoon the flavor didn't match. In three weeks it's moved from 1.067 to 1.010, so it's till got a little way to go. The taste i took today had a very light (almost hidden) apple flavor and a very strong ETOH taste. Hopefully those will reverse with a little more time :D

Okay, I finally took a taste of mine... WOW... I used the WLP 300 and it is sitting at about .990 for the FG... it tastes AWESOME, it is dry, obvously, but VERY fruity... it is phenominal! You have to try it!

Hey, when does the sulfur scent leave the brew??

I'll be doing a cider with either the Wyeast 3068 or WLP300 in a week or two. I'll make sure to report back here.

I've had the best success with ale yeasts for cider, particularly Nottingham and sometimes Coopers. I'm currently trying out the Windsor. It depends a lot on the apples as to which comes out the best

The only time I ever got a sulfur smell was using a lager yeast. I racked the jug and it cleared up in a couple of days and tasted fine

Bottled mine made with WLP300 today... simply awesome! I don't think I can wait for it to carb up :D

Latest posts

Back