Single Hop IIPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

permo

Reaction score
I am planning a single hop IIPA. I have two hops two choose from:

Columbus
Chinook

I am thinking
12 gallon batch
85% two row
5% crystal
10% honey
1.090 OG
1.015 OG
Mash at 150 for a very long time
WLP007
1 oz hop choice FWH
1 oz hop choice at 60
4 oz hop choice at 10
4 oz hop choice at FO
3 oz hop choice dry hop for one week
3 oz hop choice dry hop second week

I am really torn on this one..but I am leaning towards chinook.

Columbus. You can thank me later.

I'm kidding, sort of. :)

Both would make fine single hop beers, and I can see why you're split over the choice. If you use chinook as heavily as you've outlined here, it's going to be a very resinous beer -- possibly too much so. Columbus has more complexity as a single hop IMHO, more notes of floral and citrus along with its resinous character. Truth be told, using both hops would probably make the best beer possible, but I know the attraction of single hopped IPAs/IIPAs. I'd go Columbus.

Nice looking hop schedule BTW. Heavy and late is my mantra too. I'd skip the honey if it were me... it's going to ferment out to almost nothing, and whatever honey character that would survive fermentation will surely be lost among all the hops. If you want a very dry IIPA, just add 5% table sugar and save a few bucks. I like a little color/maltiness in my IIPAs, so I usually use about 7% C40 and 5% carapils -- I leave the simple sugars out unless I'm going for very high gravity (above 1.080).

At any rate, looks great. :D

Columbus. You can thank me later.

I leave the simple sugars out unless I'm going for very high gravity (above 1.080).

At any rate, looks great. :D

I surely appreciate your input, I am adding the honey because I am a huge fan of hopslam and I am shooting for 1.090 OG. A big brew

I could go with 50/50 chinook and columbus I suppose!

I have done an all chinook IPA, and it was one batch that did not stay around too long. Chinook, either you hate it
or you love it.

Don't get me wrong... I LOVE me some chinook. My Arrogant Bastard clone (all chinook of course) is one of my favorite beers I've ever made. The darker malty flavors play really well of the resinous chinook hops. But AB isn't hopbursted like this recipe. All those late/dry additions might be a little astringent (or one-note in flavor) compared to other single hop choices.

Hopslam is a great beer indeed -- I was completely unaware that honey is part of the fermentables. Then again, that's not much of a surprise either: pile on the hops like Bells and the tiny contribution of honey will disappear completely. I still say go with table sugar if you want to dry the beer out. Cheaper to be sure, and more certain the yeast will ferment it out completely and timely. My .02 anyway.

I did not see the 6 ounces dry hops. Little too much chinook even for me, and my 5 last beers had chinook in them!

It's heavy -- remarkably similar to my IIPA schedule: ~1 oz at 60, then HEAVY at 10, flameout, and dry hops. I gave up on FWH about a year ago.

Mirror Pond - Cascade
Two Hearted - Centennial
Rogue Brutal Bitter - Crystal

I have no issues with single hop brews. SMASH brews I find to be boring, but that misses the point of them I guess.

Never done Chinook or Columbus by themselves but like them both and I used them in combo in a Rye IPA which came out great.

I just dumped out 10+ gallons of nutbrown do to a rope slime and soured infection. I am bleaching the whole works and brewing 20 gallons of beer this weekend.

Looks like this brew is moving up to being brewed this weekend. I am a liquid yeast die hard believer, but it looks like I am going to have to go dry due to time constraints. US-05 I suppose. I would hate to ruin a beer this resource intensive with crappy yeast, but I really have no choice.

I think I am going all columbus and it's going to be tasty....I hope

Sorry to hear that permo.

On a positive note, I assure you that US05 is high quality stuff, and makes fantastic ales indeed. You will be pleasantly surprised. Just be sure to follow proper sanitary rehydration procedure before you pitch and you'll have a fast and healthy fermentation to look forward to.

Brew_4iT said:
Citra! Great bittering hop and dryhopping hops!

I do an all citra wheat. I love it. Would def consider putting a ton in an IPA. Not that easy to get ahold of tho.

For the record, Amarillo makes for an excellent single hop IPA. I have no idea what Bulldog is complaining about -- Mikkeller's Single Hop Amarillo? People seem to think that that usage of Amarillo was up to par: http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/13307/55288

I can only assume the ones I got where bad... There was something off about them. Though not the beer you linked to, I think they were just bad beers.

all columbus is wonderful, you won't be disappointed.

why the hate for S-05?

No hate, its just not my normal yeast. I had some bad experiences when I first started brewing years back with dry yeast, muntons, coopers, nottingham.......switched to liquid and have not looked back.

Notty tastes horrible if fermented warm. It took me about 4 back to back Notty pale ales, stouts and porters fermented at room temp before I sourced the problem. The flavors were so "off" I though I had an infection. Nope, just nasty flavors from warm yeast.

No hate, its just not my normal yeast. I had some bad experiences when I first started brewing years back with dry yeast, muntons, coopers, nottingham.......switched to liquid and have not looked back.

understable. like bigbeergeek mentioned, notty can be attrocious when fermented too warm, and coopers n muntons yeast are just not that good, so hopefully S-05 will erase those memories. its like 001, but with slightly more attenuation

I have not brewed this yet, but have finalized my recipe and my hop choice (colombus whole cone)

12 gallon batch
28 pounds two row
2 pounds caramunich
1 oz columbus at mash hop
1 oz columbus at FWH
1 oz colombus at 60
3 oz columbus at 10
3 oz columbus at 5
3 oz columbus hot whirlpool
5 oz columbus dry hop
OG = 1.075
FG = 1.015 (trying to use the caramunich and a 152 mash temp to retain some body/sweetness to balance the columbus)
IBU = roughly 80
color = 9ish...
WLP001 3 litre starter
Mash at 152 for 90 minutes

should be tasty for week two or three of football season on draught!

Brewing this weekend, decided to take advice and use two hop varieties. Chinook and columbus.

12 gallon yield for 10 gallons into kegs.
28# two row
2# vienna
2# crystal
2# sugar
1 oz chinook at FWH
1 oz columbus at 60
1 oz columbus@30
1 oz chinook @ 30
2 oz columbus at 10
1 oz chinook at 10
2 oz columbus at 5
1 oz chinook at 5
2 oz columbus at 2
1 oz chinook at 2
6 oz columbus at FO (hot steep for 10 minutes)
1 oz Chinook at FO (hot steep for 10 minutes)
2 oz columbus dry hop
2 oz chinook dry hop
Pacman at 70
OG = 1.080
FG = 1.014
Mash at 154

Back