Lost control of my Fermentation Temps!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vongo

Reaction score
I have an ESB going and have had some issues maintaining optimal temp for the 1st 3 days of fermentation started at 66 ramped up to 74 for about 8 hours got it back down to 68 and have been holding since. Any ideas on what I can expect and what temp should i keep it at for the next couple of weeks ?
Wyeast 1968...

What are you using to control the temp?

Keeping it around 68 will be fine once active fermentation is over.

Yeah, if you can keep it at 68 for the next couple weeks, that's ideal, but if primary fermentation is over, a few degrees here or there are no big deal. Just try to avoid large (+-5) swings if at all possible.
If it's in a secondary off the yeast cake, the temp matters even less.

Its probably done or will be in a day or two. Once FG is reached you can let it rise to 78 or room temp.

BUT there is a lot of talk about this yeast acting up when bottled. Read the thread on British Yeasts a few pages back. Basically it seems to wake up and over attenuate after priming. The recommended procedure is to Ferment at 64 for the first few days, then 68 for a week, then immediately crash chill and keg or keep cold. If you must bottle, remove most of the yeast and carb with a clean yeast.

It is almost done...My concern is what happens with the temp swings during those first 3 days. I am using an air conditioned room and will be until SWMBO will allow a chest freezer.

I would not worry, the fruity esters it would throw off, as an english yeast, will still be in style and may be tastier.

Zanzibeer said:
I would not worry, the fruity esters it would throw off, as an english yeast, will still be in style and may be tastier.

I freaking love this response!

Until I built my fermentation chamber (and also before I got the control software working with the hardware I built) I had some big temperature swings, the best way to control temp without expensive controls is a big bucket of water. Since water as a large specific heat it takes a long time for ambient temps to effect the body of water hence it really stabilizes your fermentation temps.

Clem

Clementine said:
Until I built my fermentation chamber (and also before I got the control software working with the hardware I built) I had some big temperature swings, the best way to control temp without expensive controls is a big bucket of water. Since water as a large specific heat it takes a long time for ambient temps to effect the body of water hence it really stabilizes your fermentation temps.

Clem

And you can put a half gallon juice bottle full of ice in the water, to bring the temp down if you need it, and keep a floating thermometer in it.

Back