do you need more priming sugar for big beers?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I have noticed in Brewing classic styles that the recommended levels of priming sugar go up for the really big beers. Do I need to plan for more priming sugar when bottling an RIS or Barleywine? why is this? thanks.

What recommended levels are you referring to?

If you're looking at the nomograph in the appendix (the same one that's in How to Brew), it's all based on temperature and desired volumes of CO2. If you want more carbonation, then you need more priming sugar. But the style of the beer itself doesn't dictate any specific level of priming sugar (other than certain volumes of CO2 matching certain styles of beer).

Right, you don't want any more priming sugar for big beers. They will take (sometimes much) longer to carb up, and you may need to repitch yeast if they aged a long time, but if you increase the sugar then ultimately you'll get higher carbonation--and if you increase it too much, that can mean bottle bombs.

was a particular style of beer that needed higher CO2 volumes to balance a higher final gravity? I could see increased carb levels to keep a thick beer from seeming so heavy.

Back