Scottish Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mk010101

Reaction score
I am going to be brewing up a Scottish Ale this weekend, but the liquid yeast pack I have might not be good (as it has been in the fridge about 6 months.) What dry yeast should I replace it with? I have Coopers Ale, Muttons Ale, Safale-56 and Nottingham ale yeasts. Thoughts?!?

I plan on doing that tonight...but just in case I had to ask about a dry yeast alternative.

I've used Nottingham on my first three batches and it seems to work well in a variety of ales. Can't say anything negative about it, but I don't know much about the other ones you mentioned.

Muttons - it should attenuate a little less than the others & leave the ale with more body and slightly sweeter.

:off: Congrats on your 5000th post!

As for the yeast, I hadn't thought about attenuation, but that's interesting, since I know Nottingham is pretty high attenuating. I think next time I make a porter, I'll try a different yeast.

Torchiest said:
I've used Nottingham on my first three batches and it seems to work well in a variety of ales. Can't say anything negative about it, but I don't know much about the other ones you mentioned.

I've said it before . . . .

Nottingham=Best.Yeast.Evar

:)

sonvolt said:
I've said it before . . . .

Nottingham=Best.Yeast.Evar

:)
Shame it's such a crap City! ;)

Safale S-04 is my favorite dried yeast.

Back