Storing Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brett3rThanU

Reaction score
Like everyone else, I'm jumping on Hopsdirect's cheap hop prices. I've ordered from them before and have been using a vacuum sealer to store my remainder and putting it in the freezer. The problem is the vacuum seal bags are clear, so every time the freezer opens/closes the light comes on and the hops are exposed to light. Should I do something to avoid this? Not sure what if it's needed, suggestions?

Also, how long will the hops stay good being vacuum sealed in a freezer?

I don't think it's a problem unless you have sunlight streaming directly into your freezer. I use clear bags as well, and I've never thought twice about it. Hops should stay good for a while (one year or more) if stored well. As long as they are green and not cheesy smelling, then they should be OK.

-Steve

Yes, that really is not a problem at all. If it concerns you enough, though, wrap them in a towel or something (even a paper one). It really won't do much for the hops (as they don't need much done to them), but it will make you feel better.

Pellet hops, vacuum-packed and kept at 0F (which is where many freezers are) will keep just about forever. AA% will tail off, slowly, over time. I use ProMash or BeerSmith to estimate how much (it can be very little over a year). Leaf hops keep nearly as well under the same conditions.

TL

I just bought a few ounces of hop pellets.. but I doubt Im going to be able to brew for awhile due to my wedding coming up.

Could I keep them in my fridge for a couple months, or should I freeze them?

Does it matter?

I just bought a few ounces of hop pellets.. but I doubt Im going to be able to brew for awhile due to my wedding coming up.

Could I keep them in my fridge for a couple months, or should I freeze them?

Does it matter?

Freeze, freeze, freeze.

Could Mason Jars be a good substitute for a vaccuum sealer?? Lets say that you put a half pound per mason jar and use 2 oz. per month. Would they get that dreaded cheesy smell before you could use all of the hops?

Could Mason Jars be a good substitute for a vaccuum sealer?? Lets say that you put a half pound per mason jar and use 2 oz. per month. Would they get that dreaded cheesy smell before you could use all of the hops?

Unless you're evacuating the air from them, no, they're not a good substitute. Even though you'd run through your 1/2 pound jar in four months, they will probably degrade some. YMMV.

-Steve

Unless you're evacuating the air from them, no, they're not a good substitute. Even though you'd run through your 1/2 pound jar in four months, they will probably degrade some. YMMV.

-Steve

If you have a food saver you can use these to vacuum seal the jars, There are quite a few people on this sight who use mason jars to store hops.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long would I be able to store hops say if I vacuum sealed a bag and threw it in the freezer (or my 42 degree keezer?)

I packaged my hop shipment in 2oz bags via the seal-a-meal thingy. I even purged each with CO2 for several seconds, prior to vac-packing them. Had the regular set to trickle and just turned it on and off as needed for each bag.
I used a couple of those packs about a month ago, they (Cascade and Amarillo) still smelled awesome. They had been vac-packed and frozen for nearly 2 years. :)

I must say it was an odd feeling bagging all that greenage in little 2oz packs. Needless to say, I closed all the blinds in my house for that.

I will be getting my 14# order tomorrow and plan on using the same method.

I must say it was an odd feeling bagging all that greenage in little 2oz packs. Needless to say, I closed all the blinds in my house for that.

I got quite a few surprised looks when I brought a bag of hops into work to show people what they were and how amazing they smell.

-Steve

Back