Please help with recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Primevci

Reaction score
How does this recipe and steps look this will be my first AG batch and i wanna try to make the transition as smooth as possible... jsut wanna make sure im some what getting this..

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Oatmeal Stout
Brewer: Primevci
Asst Brewer:
Style: American Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 6.73 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.98 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.059 SG
Estimated Color: 33.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 45.2 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 70.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 80.5 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
8 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 1 66.7 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 7 4.2 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 6.3 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 40L (40.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.2 %
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L (120.0 SRM) Grain 6 4.2 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.3 %
1 lbs Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM) Grain 2 8.3 %
2.50 oz Willamette [5.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 8 45.2 IBUs
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 10 -
1.0 pkg SafAle English Ale (DCL/Fermentis #S-04) Yeast 9 -

Mash Schedule: Single Infusion, Medium Body, Batch Sparge
Total Grain Weight: 12 lbs
----------------------------
Name Description Step Temperat Step Time
Mash In Add 16.00 qt of water at 165.8 F 152.0 F 60 min

Sparge: Drain mash tun, Batch sparge with 3 steps (4.42gal, 1.47gal, 1.47gal) of 168.0 F water
Notes:
------

Created with BeerSmith 2 - http://www.beersmith.com
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Looks great! Pretty similar to the Shakespeare Stout recipe I just brewed. You probably won't need two packs of dry yeast if you rehydrate it.

A single batch sparge will be the easiest. Just look into your kettle after the first runnings -- the amount of room you have left is the amount to sparge.

agreed, it does look like a nice recipe. would you consider a slightly higher mash temp? like 154? it probably won't matter much, but might be worth thinking about.

edit: well, maybe not. i was surprised to see the 'Shakespeare Stout' recipe called for a 148 mash temp.

so instead of the 1.47 1.47 just do 2.94? Also is the 4.42gal actually the mash drain? not a sparge was kinda confused when i saw that

That cannot be the first runnings volume with only 4 gallons of liquor in the mash. Figure about a gallon per 10 pounds of grain absorption, so expect almost 3 gallons of first runnings. Sparge with enough to reach preboil volume, whatever that turns out to be and RDWHAHB.

944play said:
That cannot be the first runnings volume with only 4 gallons of liquor in the mash. Figure about a gallon per 10 pounds of grain absorption, so expect almost 3 gallons of first runnings. Sparge with enough to reach preboil volume, whatever that turns out to be and RDWHAHB.

Sso is beer. Smith not calculating that correctly?

I'd be sure plug in your actual expected efficiency % if it's not the 70% indicated.
+1 the one packet of dry yeast should be plenty

Frank99 said:
I'd be sure plug in your actual expected efficiency % if it's not the 70% indicated.
+1 the one packet of dry yeast should be plenty

Im just guessing it will be around 70 as this will be my first batch

Personally, it looks like a lot of specialty grains. If it were me, I would drop a few ounces of the roasted barley, drop all the Victory and add in 2 pounds of two- row. I'd rather have a little higher OG potential, in case your efficiency comes in lower than estimated.

Back