$100 bottle of beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superjunior

Reaction score
A couple friends and I stopped by a beverage/ liquor store yesterday to sample a few things on tap and get a few growlers filled. than I saw it - the biggest beer bottle I've ever seen. it was a double oak aged arrogant bastard, not my favorite beer from stone, but I almost bought it anyway.
it had a $89.99 price tag on it. if it was their regular IPA I would have snatched it up. here's a pic
http://blogs.creativeloafing.com/dailyloaf/2011/01/07/beer-review-stones-lukcy-basartd/

The guys at stone have come out and said it is not practical. They have to fill them by hand because of the size of the bottle. It is something they just want to do.

How about a bottle of Sink The Bismark for $108.00 and it is only 12OZ

The guys at stone have come out and said it is not practical. They have to fill them by hand because of the size of the bottle. It is something they just want to do.

no it didn't seem practical, but the bottle sure is one cool conversation piece

That's the magnum. IIRC they have bombers of it that are much cheaper. I've had it. I think it's like 11 dollars or something. It's nothing spectacular.

But with Utopias and beers jammed up the a$$ of stuffed squirrels who can blame them. Pricey collectible beers are the new black.

One one level I think it's great because beer is starting to be seen in a better light. More than just cheap assed bud. But comparable to wines...especially something pared with food.

"This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this."

Priceless:D

there was a bomber of goose island bourbon country rare last time i was in my local store. $50 / 22oz....kind of wanted to buy it....

The beer store next door to my workplace had one of those bottles of Stone for about the same price. It was pretty.

But with Utopias and beers jammed up the a$$ of stuffed squirrels who can blame them. Pricey collectible beers are the new black.

Stone's been making the 3 liter bottle for at least 6 or 7 years, long before anyone thought of jamming a beer into a squirrel or marmot. Back then it was $40 for the bottle of Double Bastard and it was a reasonable conversation piece for a party. (3 liters is about 8 1/2 12oz bottles)

The one that surprised me was walking into a local beer/wine store and seeing a mini-keg of a Schlenkerla rauchbier. (The little 1 foot diameter by 15 inch or so tall kegs that first showed up filled with Heineken.) That's a lot of smoke... :drunk:

"This is an aggressive ale. You probably won’t like it. It is quite doubtful that you have the taste or sophistication to be able to appreciate an ale of this quality and depth. We would suggest that you stick to safer and more familiar territory–maybe something with a multi-million dollar ad campaign aimed at convincing you it’s made in a little brewery, or one that implies that their tasteless fizzy yellow beverage will give you more sex appeal. Perhaps you think multi-million dollar ad campaigns make things taste better. Perhaps you’re mouthing your words as you read this."

Priceless:D

And yet my IPAs taste more aggressive and sophisticated then Arrogant Bastard:drunk: I think Stone is overrated: their beers are drinkable, but the only one that I'd volunteer to buy is Ruination. Here in Georgia, they are way overpriced too. For $100, I'll make a really good batch of 5 to 10 gallon limited edition beer! :mug:

And yet my IPAs taste more aggressive and sophisticated then Arrogant Bastard:drunk: I think Stone is overrated: their beers are drinkable, but the only one that I'd volunteer to buy is Ruination. Here in Georgia, they are way overpriced too. For $100, I'll make a really good batch of 5 to 10 gallon limited edition beer! :mug:

I've never tried Stone before. You can't get it here in Iowa. Next time I'm in Illinois I might pick one up just to see what all the talk is about. Love the label though! Hilarious!:D

I like arrogant bastard, and love stone IPA. I think I like stone IPA better than dogfish head 60 minute IPA. Don't think I'd fork over a hundred bucks for that bad boy though.

Our beer store has old magnums sitting around, both emtpty and full, that are not for sale.

How about a ten year old magnum of Fish Brewing's Oak Aged Leviathan Barleywine? I don't think they'd ever sell it.

They also have 50+ year old cans of Oly that they'd never sell, either... so, you know...

At our homebrew group meeting the other night I bought a $66 3 liter of Chimay Blue for us to finish off with (the meeting was at a beer shop warehouse). It was cool to pour that as people held up their glasses. Massive bottle.

And of course, it was tasty as hell.

Back