Anybody else excited for football?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adrock

Reaction score
It seems after much posturing and complaining, Bengals WR Chad Johnson has finally jumped on board. Even as a Cincinnati Bengals fan, I am the eternal optimist: I hope to see a pair of Pro Bowl receivers and Pro Bowl QB do their thing with the help of a (hopefully) much-improved defense. With any luck improved defensive strategy and team chemistry is just the shot in the arm this team needs. Here's to returning the AFC North to its rightful place as the toughest division in football!

I'm also looking forward to the start of the season for the University of Cincinnati Bearcats (alma mater). After finishing the season in the top 25 for the first time ever and the return of the majority of a talented defense, it's looking to be a good year for Brian Kelly and his squad.

Who's your team? Who's your nemesis? Or do you think football is a game played with a round black-and-white ball kicked into a net in excruciatingly boring fashion? ;)

Heck yeah. Unfortunately, all of my sources for Eagles tickets are looking like they will not produce this year. On the bright side, me and some old buddies are trekking out to Seattle for the Eagles Hawks game in Nov. Look out Naked City.

Go Redskins!!!

IMG_2523.JPG

Bengals WR Chad Johnson has finally jumped on board
He should have jumped softer, seeing as how it injured his ankles. :)

I've been a Packer fan for forty+ years and this year will be interesting as the beginning of the post-Favre era. I've no idea what to expect out of them this year. As to nemesis, I grew to dislike the Cowboys as, for three years in a row ('93-'95), the Pack was knocked out of the playoffs by the Cowboys. The year they finally made it ('96 season, '97 Superbowl) they didn't play the Cowboys in the playoffs (Carolina beat Dallas in the divisionals). On the one hand, I was disappointed they didn't go through Dallas to win the Superbowl but -- considering they had lost to Dallas 21-6 during the regular season -- I was kind'a relieved they didn't have to.

Rick

I'm looking forward to football, but I have a feeling this is going to be a hard season to enjoy. Losing the Super Bowl was SO disappointing after the 18-0 start, there's really no room for error. There's a lot of baggage left from how last season ended, if they don't win it all, it's all for naught. They can go 16-0 in the regular season again (not that I think they will), and it won't mean anything until the playoffs.

Whodathunk, the Patriots would be the one Boston team (Bruins don't count) without a title over the past twelve months!

I'm looking forward to football, but I have a feeling this is going to be a hard season to enjoy. Losing the Super Bowl was SO disappointing after the 18-0 start, there's really no room for error.

It's all about frame of reference, isn't it? I remember when the Bengals had a non-losing (not winning mind you, 8-8) season 5 years ago. Everyone in Cincinnati was excited beyond belief; but then, we were getting used to 2-14! Your Patriots used to be pretty terrible for a time, too, so I imagine you know what I mean. But as fans as soon as we get something we need more. You're getting used to your team winning championships, so nothing less is acceptable. I can't blame you, but trust me, it's an enviable situation to be in!

Incidentally, the Patriots rank 3rd on my list of most-hated teams (no offense meant), behind Pittsburgh (#2) and Cleveland (#1). As we say in Cincinnati, if it's brown flush it down! ;)

It's all about frame of reference, isn't it? I remember when the Bengals had a non-losing (not winning mind you, 8-8) season 5 years ago. Everyone in Cincinnati was excited beyond belief; but then, we were getting used to 2-14! Your Patriots used to be pretty terrible for a time, too, so I imagine you know what I mean. But as fans as soon as we get something we need more. You're getting used to your team winning championships, so nothing less is acceptable. I can't blame you, but trust me, it's an enviable situation to be in!

Incidentally, the Patriots rank 3rd on my list of most-hated teams (no offense meant), behind Pittsburgh (#2) and Cleveland (#1). As we say in Cincinnati, if it's brown flush it down! ;)

I know exactly what you mean. It's like the Celtics winning the title this week; they were SO HORRIBLE last year, and really for twenty-odd years, that winning the Championship felt incredible. But, when the Sox won... it was expected. The Patriot's first title was one of the most joyous moments of my life; now, expectations are so high that it's just not the same.

The Bengals suck, BTW (although my hatred is driven mostly by how much Walker-san, who never posts anymore, loves them ;)). I was expecting that they would have traded Chad Johnson to NE by now.

I can't wait for football to start again. I've been waiting since the Superbowl ended. As a die-hard Vikings fan it is my duty to hate the Packers. I'm very curious to see how the North plays out this year, especially the post-Favre Packers.

I can relate, as a Lions fan I look wistfully back to the nineties. We made the playoffs frequently, had Barry Sanders and our only playoff victory in 50 years (Cowboys :D). I don't see this season being any different than the past eight years.

It's all about frame of reference
Being a Packer fan for 40+ years, for a long, long stretch I was just happy if the made it on TV -- which, with limited games televised plus living in the south, was rare. The few times they were in the playoffs during that stretch was icing. I did get a regular, weekly dose of the Saints losing, though.

Rick

My curiosity has gotten the best of me. What the heck is a tater? :confused:

Please refrain from all posts explaining that tater is short for potato.

My curiosity has gotten the best of me. What the heck is a tater? :confused:

Please refrain from all posts explaining that tater is short for potato.

I can't resist:

Anyways, Geaux Tigers. I can't wait for football season to start back up.

Last edited by a moderator:
Football is the only thing I really look forward to watching on TV. Even better if I can get to see a couple games.
As you can tell by my avatar I'm a Steelers fan. AFC North should be a tough division this year if the Bungles can manage to make a decent showing. The Browns are finally back to competitive form and of course the Steelers are always in the hunt.

On Saturdays I'm usually rooting for the OSU Buckeyes. Both my parents are alumni so I grew up watching them. I did attend a year at Purdue which means I do watch their games when I can but my hearts usually going to the Bucks.

My sport for the summer however if Pro cycling. The coverage of the TDF (Tour De France) is always very good and Versus also has minor coverage of the other races each Sunday. The abilities of those cyclists amaze me.

Craig

LOL! I guess I left myself wide open for the 'taters joke, but how could I have foreseen a LOTR reference? I lose.

As for the Steelers, I'm still waiting for the sophomore slump of Ben Roethlisberger.......considering it would be a couple years late, I've got a feeling I might be disappointed. That guy's pretty good. However, I'll still be looking forward to Houshmandzadeh shining his shoes with a terrible towel!

Who Dey!

P.S. I just had to get a shot back after my team was called the Bungles. Let's please not turn this into a Bengals vs. Steelers thread.

Tater is what we like to call Clemson tiger fans.

Their booster club is call IPTAY (I pay ten a year) AKA (I pay ten athletes yearly) (It's probation time again yall) (I plow ten acres yearly) etc.

They call themselves Iptayers, and we just shorten to tators. It kind of fits them being a farm college and all.

Sounds like you are an LSU tiger so you are all right (well, mostly)

Nah man........Cincinnati Bengals! and Bearcats, but I assume you're referring to my avatar. Read my initial post; it'll make more sense that way.

I miss the NFL bigtime, but I'm enjoying baseball until then. There's nothing like football season though........nothing

P.S. I just had to get a shot back after my team was called the Bungles. Let's please not turn this into a Bengals vs. Steelers thread.

No problem, while I am a die hard Steeler fan I do respect the fact that other teams have fan also. And if the Bengals can be respectable then I figure that just makes the games better.

Craig

You want football? You want excited?

[ame="http://www.collegehumor.com/video:1785749"]OK![/ame]

(It ain't the pros, but still...)

Back