Insulating a stainless mash tun. Opinions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beermanpimp

Reaction score
Ok I recently purchased a new 25 gallon stainless steel pot for use as my mash tun and need to insulate it. I want to make the insulation look nicer than just wrapping the pot with reflectix and taping it. My OCD wants the pot to hopefully look pimped out. I went online to the foamfactory and found a cross-linked polyethylene rubber which has a max temp rating of 220 degrees. I purchased a full sheet and started to cut the pieces to insulate the MT. I got a large size scribe (Pic 1) from home depot to cut out poster board in the size of the lid indention (Pic 2). The lid inlay piece came out great (Pic 3). I used the poster board again to cut a template for the holes for the handles on the piece going around the pot itself (Pic 4). The piece for the pot was cut so it went around the pot only 1 time with no overlapping. Once I got the piece cut for the pot, I went to a local fabric store and found the silver grommets in Pic 5. After cutting a 1/2" hole they attach on both sides with screws. I plan on putting these on both sides of the rubber where it meets and using parachute cord to lace the insulation up tight onto the pot. I'll post more pics as I make progress. This is my first build post, so any feedback or opinions would be appreciated.

005.jpg

004.jpg

003.jpg

001.jpg

002.jpg

I'm almost done. I finished all the grommets except one. One of the screws stripped out on it. Cut the length so that it fits over 2 pieces of cutout on the bottom. Not sure yet how I'm going to attach the bottom since polyethylene is immune to any adhesives that would keep it attached. Got the hole cutout for the valve and got the cord temporarily put in skipping the hole that is missing the grommet. So far I happy with how it has turned out.

004.jpg

005.jpg

Latest posts

Back