Using Cheesecloth to filter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fayderek14

Reaction score
We are making beer that has alot of different spices and fruit in the secondary. When we bottle we want to avoid getting the sediment in the bottles. Would using a cheese cloth when moving the beer to the bottle bucked be a good idea? Can anyone recommend a better method?

I find that cheesecloth has too much room for things to get through. I am a really big fan of paint strainer bags. My suggestion is to put a sanatized 5 gallon bag into your bottling bucket, move the beer to the bucket using a syphon or racking cane, and then slowly pull the bag out of the bucket. That will take even the finer pieces with it and leave you with a fairly clean beer.

I think you'd be better off putting the paint bag over the uptake end of the siphon. That way you won't be stirring up and oxygenating your beer once it's in the bottling bucket.

I just used a paint strainer bag from Lowes in my bottling bucket for my coconut porter. Sanitize and be gentle removing it from your beer when your finished. Worked like a charm, no oxidation problems. Beer turned out fantastic

Back