sierra nevada clone (midwest kit)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trv

Reaction score
Hey guys I just signed up here and had a question about the midwest kit. I was wondering how long to age the beer in the secondary before kegging. So far I let it sit in the primary for 7 days then transferred to secondary.

Give it 14 more days, at least. You also could've just left it in primary as a lot of people on here do.

Does your kit call for dry hopping? I like doing that for 7-10 days.

It does not call for dry hopping. Thanks for the info...I will let it sit for 2 wks in the secondary. I am going to try the cold crashing before kegging and see what happens.

Do a 3 to 4 week primary (don't bother with the secondary) and let sit in keg for 2 weeks. Although, you can test after 1 week in the keg and it should be fine.

how long should I let it sit in the keg

Just long enough for it to carb up. Then commence to drinkin'. If you're going to cold crash the secondary, you'll be racking it cold into the keg. IF you really want to enjoy your brew sooner, crank the regulator up to 30psi and hold that on the keg for about 24 hours. After 24 hours, reduce to serving pressure and enjoy. In my experience, this should get you very close to a good pour. If it is still a touch flat, give it another 12 hours at 30.

You're a very patient soul! For most "regular" strength ales, I leave it in the fermenter for about 10 days, dryhop for 5 days, then keg.

It won't hurt the beer to wait, but there really isn't any need for a well made beer to sit for weeks and weeks and weeks.

Back