Syracuse Brew-pub Scene?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RoaringBrewer

Reaction score
So, the SWMBO, myself, and some friends of ours (another couple) have a trip to Syracuse planned for the weekend of November 9th - 11th. Get out, see some new scenery, and hang out with these friends of ours we only get to see once every month or two... The plus is that they are also a brew-friendly crew and love to visit the brewpubs, etc. and try new stuff...

I've already done some research and have a few brew-pubs and beer bars mapped out for us to check out, but thought I'd check in here to see if I missed any on my google searches or anyone could critique some of these places - of course all you get by going to their website is the goodstuff... So, here's the list of places I've found and plan to get to most all of them over the three day trip:

http://www.sudsfactory.com/ - Syracuse Suds Factory

http://www.middleagesbrewing.com/ - Middle Ages Brewing Company - from what I understand this isn't a brewpub (no food) so much as a brewery with a tasting room and souvenir shop? Still hitting it up...

http://www.1812ale.com/ - Sackets Harbor Brewing – This one is a 45 minute - 1 hour drive from Syracuse I believe, but looks pretty cool…

Don't think these are micros, but both of these mention 50+ taps, so I can only imagine the micro selection from the northeast:

http://www.bluetusk.com/ - Blue Tusk Pub

http://www.kittyhoynes.com/xml/?htm=aboutus&fl=navAbout – Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub

Help me fill in our agenda with some other suggestions!

The blue tusk is the hot set-up. Not a brewery, but a really nice selection of beer on tap.

I heard that the Empire brewing Co. recently re-opened. They had a decent selection of stuff on tap, as well as guest beers. IIRC they are a few doors down from the Blue Tusk on Walton St.

If you like BBQ check out Dinosaur BBQ, not the greatest selection of taps, but.....darn good bbq.

Ditto on Glibiddy about Blue Tusk and Dinosaur. Go to Dinosaur for the barbeque, it's very good, then work your way over to Blue Tusk, it's an easy walk.

SilkkyBrew
I'm from Syracuse. Here is some information for ya

Syracuse Suds Factory: Skip it. I don't know anyone who enjoys their brew. The other stuff on tap or bottle selection is pretty standard.

Middle Ages Brewing Company: Check this one out. They do have a tasting room and souvenir shop. They usually have 7 on tap to choose from and they let you buy others that they will go tap from out back.

Sackets Harbor Brewing: This one is like 1 hour drive from Syracuse. They make 1812 which is really good and can be found on tap anywhere in Syracuse.

Blue Tusk: Very cool place to check out multiple taps.

Kitty Hoynes Irish Pub: Cool place, but nothing on tap that is special.

Clark's Ale House: Neat place with about 12 - 15 taps, but they rotate and they get quite a different mix. No loud music, its more of a english style pub. Good conversation and good brew. And they make good roast beef sandwiches

Empire Brewing Company: I like this place. The beer is starting to improve. When they first re-opened their beer was a disappointment, but last time I had their belgian dubbel and it was good. Good food too.

Improper: Another place with multiple taps. I like this one more than the tusk, but they are both really good. Improper has some good food too. If you go, don't just look at the beer menu, they have more on tap that are sometimes not listed on it. Its only updated every so often.

Saranac: Is like a 40 min drive. You can do a brewery tour and then they give a couple free tastings.

Wagner Valley: This is a 40 - 60 min drive and it is in the heart of the upstate NY wineries (three lake region full of wineries). Their beer is okay.

Dinosaur is a great place to eat and they have a pretty good list of brews. There are some good places in Rochester (1 - 1.5 hr drive). Beers of the World is a candy store for adults with an extreme amt of beer choices. Rohrbach is a brewpub with good beer and Custom Brewcrafters, just okay, is a microbrewery with sampling.

Hope this helps. Sorry it was so long. Let me know if you enjoy the area!

Mulcahey's Brewing said:
SilkkyBrew

Saranac: Is like a 40 min drive. You can do a brewery tour and then they give a couple free tastings.

Technically, Saranac isn't a brewery. It is made at the FX Matt Brewery in Utica, NY . They give a good tour and you get 2 free samples when it's done. cost is $2.

I second (or third or fourth) the BBQ at Dinosaur.

Where is Empire Brewing located? I heard this reopened, but I couldn't find an up to date webpage last time I searched. Guess I'll try again!

Thanks for the great info guys!!

EDIT: Found the website - looks like they just put this up in the past 2-3 weeks. Empirebrew.com

todd_k said:
Technically, Saranac isn't a brewery. It is made at the FX Matt Brewery in Utica, NY .

Yes, technically it is the FX Matt's Brewery. Everyone here refers to it as Saranac. I wonder...how many people would know that FX Matt Brewery is where Saranac is produced? Pretty good question to the non-beerophile...

Kinda like, technically Sam Adams is made by the Boston Beer Company, right? I know I know...pointless argument...

The Empire is directly across the street from the Blue Tusk on Walton. Or next door to PJ Dorsey's or a couple doors down from the Syracuse Suds Factory - all on Walton. The Empire was re-opened by the owners of Sackets Harbor Brewing Company. The brewer at Empire went to work for Sackets after Empire closed. Now he is back at Empire.

Thanks again for the info fellas... I realized that Empire is very close to the Tusk after I found their website...

I'll let you know how the trip pans out! Mulcahey, if you are interested in meeting up for a beer - let us know!

Well, got the Yahoo! Trip set up and itineraries drawn up. Looks like we'll be able to hit all the Syracuse breweries (despite my noting Suds Factory is sub-par, my buddy still wants to go) and some of the beer bars, with time for shopping (the ladies), etc. in between. I drafted up two versions of the itinerary, so we might hit Sackets Harbor too depending upon timing. Anyway, I'll try to document my impressions of the places we plan to go, when I return:

Middle Ages, Empire, Suds Factory, Sackets Harbor (possibly), Blue Tusk, Improper, Clark's Ale House, and PJ Dorseys are all on the itinerary... :)

Mulcahey's Brewing said:
Yes, technically it is the FX Matt's Brewery. Everyone here refers to it as Saranac. I wonder...how many people would know that FX Matt Brewery is where Saranac is produced? Pretty good question to the non-beerophile...

Kinda like, technically Sam Adams is made by the Boston Beer Company, right? I know I know...pointless argument...

More FX Matt Brewery trivia.
It was where Brooklyn Brewery was contracted out before they had a physical plant.

olllllo said:
More FX Matt Brewery trivia.
It was where Brooklyn Brewery was contracted out before they had a physical plant.

Yeah I just read that the other day. Was it on Brooklyn Brewery website? They brew Sam Adams there as well.

f.x. matt is also the home to these guys:

http://www.brewerysteins.com/

if you are looking for a more interesting and moderately collectible method of serving your beer. i understand some of the original editions of the schultz and dooley steins are rather valuable.

Trip is over... I'll post my 'review' some night this evening, with pictures. :)

As for the S&D stein comment, it's interesting you mention it. We visited Matt Brewing Co. on Saturday and there was the annual S&D Party/reception... All the new steins were released, there was a stein auction, etc. It was rather busy there that day, but I must say (a teaser from my review) that the Matt (Saranac) Brewing Co. was definitely the highlight of this trip...

i do the matt brewing co tour almost once a month since its like 15 minutes from my school. it is also the 6th largest brewery in the US. Their yearly output is still less than Anheuser Busch's daily output

i know, digging up an old post but what the hell! went to the empire a couple weeks ago for dinner and had some sort of apple ale, it was pretty damn good. their food was some of the best i have had in syracuse for the price!

Latest posts

Back