Wort ready to be pitched...yeast starter not so ready

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Silverbullet

Reaction score
I made a 2L stater (at 1.040 with nutrient) of WL500 48hrs ago knowing it has historically been a slow starter for me. I was hoping that by the end of my brew day today it would be high krausen and tried to gamble the perfect timing. Well, it's still not ready and will most likely take a good 72hrs before the starter is cranking.
My question is this; I have a fresh slurry of S-04 that's been rinsed and is ready to go. Can/should I throw in the S-04 for now and then as that nears the end of its fermentation, pitch the WL500 in to clear out the higher alc., or would I be better off just cooling the wort, sealing it up and let it rest until the starter is ready to go?
This will be for a Chimay Blue clone that should come in around 1.088-1.094 OG depending on final efficiency (brewing as I type).
Input appreciated guys!:mug:

Does the starter show any active signs like cascading, foaming, milky in color?

If it's going to be a trappist beer, I'd stick with the 500. Just seal, put in ferm chamber and wait another day.

Thanks for the fast reply! The starter is JUST starting to turn the slight milky color (on stir plate) so I'm hoping another 24hrs tops.

Thanks for the fast reply! The starter is JUST starting to turn the slight milky color (on stir plate) so I'm hoping another 24hrs tops.

NP. You just can't duplicate the flavors that the Belgian yeast produces with a british or california yeast. It won't taste the same at all.

Back