Commercial GROWLERS?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
So I was thinking. Some of the micro-breweries near my Dad's house (Berkshire Brewing, Opa-Opa, Paper City) sell growlers in nearly every local package store. I've never bought one, but they seem to havy metal twist-able caps. I would assume, although perhaps wrongly, that they are resealable like a soda bottle. Would it be possible to use one of these growlers for bottling homebrew? I'd love to kill two birds with onee stone: get a 64 oz jug of Berkshire brew AND a growler to bottle my own summer beers in.

Thoughts? Anyone tried this?

-Ben

I tried it, but I was told it would still let oxygen in. I had an English brown ale inside a Berkshire BC growler for about a month and it tasted okay to me, but frankly I wasn't willing to try it again. Man, do I love the BBC though.

david_42 said:
It's really tough to get those twist caps to seal without distorting them.

Good point. Also, getting the caps off when you screw them on that hard and then they pressurize is ridiculous. It took about 5 decently strong guys and about a half-hour of work to get one off, and all that jostling foamed up the beer like crazy.

I've got a Stone Brew Flip top. Worked good the one time I used it. Too bad they use a glass/glazed on logo. So I don't want to put my beer in it. Why give them credit?

However, I would think a handy guy could figure out how to wire a rubber plug in- like a champagne cork? HBS's sell all sizes of carboy plugs. Stick a stainless bolt with a washer through the hole, a nut inside, some wire over the top, tighten bolt for a seal. Loosen the bolt to get the damn thing out. Instant 1/2 gallon 'Party Pig"!!!

Back