Should I add more yeast? I am afraid added honey is not helping fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

agurkas

Reaction score
5 day ago I have brewed up this Power Pack Porter with White Labs Burton Ale 023 yeast http://www.midwestsupplies.com/power-pack-porter.html

I was tempted to add a bit of honey flavor to it, so I added (per suggestions in this forum) 1lb of good quality honey. I was also looking for more ABV, so was told honey will help me with that.

My concerns are:
1. OG was 1.064 instead of 1.058 kit said it would be
2. I kept it at room temperature of 72F and the fermentation looks done today (no more airlock activity).

Should I add more yeast? I have a packet of additional dry yeast the kit came with, or should I just put it in secondary and leave it alone for 4 more weeks?

If I should just do secondary, should I leave in the 55F basement, or room temperature should be fine for this porter? I don't want to f this up.

The best thing is to leave it alone at room temperature. You do need to get a gravity reading to find out if it is in the right range for being finished. Without having an SG reading, you are just guessing and could screw up a perfectly good beer.

Just measured the gravity and it is showing only 1.022 . I measured temps too and it showed me something like 78F (I doubt thermometer is correct).
So that is what like 2% ABV? Did I screw this up? When I opened it, krausen is just left on the walls.

It's only been 5 days. Let it sit for another week, then take a gravity reading and see where you're at.

Just measured the gravity and it is showing only 1.022 . I measured temps too and it showed me something like 78F (I doubt thermometer is correct).
So that is what like 2% ABV? Did I screw this up? When I opened it, krausen is just left on the walls.

If it started at 1.064, and it's currently at 1.022, it's fermenting well. That means it's already 5.5% ABV. I'd double check the temperature, though, just to make sure it's not really at 78 degrees.

Should I do secondary fermenter now, or let it sit in the bucket for another week?

Back