What species of hops would survive cold weather

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Famou55TAR

Reaction score
So i'm planning on growing hops this spring. maybe get them starting inside this winter. My question is, Is there a species of hops that can withstand cold weather climates (zone 3)? Last winter we saw temps about -40. my dad grows grapes and it killed off all his plants.

Absolutely not. Hops are a warm weather plant. They won't even produce hops without at least 4 months of frost free days/nights. The roots can survive, and they'll sprout in the spring when they're ready...but they won't grow in extreme cold.

You can probably grow hops. I grow them, and they are healthy. I know they can be grown in cold areas, since I grow them, but I mulch well in the late fall.

You won't find rhizomes until spring, though. They are only available in the spring, to be planted when the ground is frost-free. We get about 70 days of frost-free weather, usually.

Some varieties will go better in colder climates than other varieties. My cascades are doing extremely well, but the German variety hops (like the hallertauer) are surviving and producing but not as well.

Hops die back to the root every year, cold winters are not a problem. You've got long summer days, which is exactly what hops love.

I misread your post. I thought you were asking if you could actually grow them in the winter.

Yooper... you produce hops in 70-85 days? I don't start to get burrs until usually around4 months frost free.

So i'm planning on growing hops this spring. maybe get them starting inside this winter. My question is, Is there a species of hops that can withstand cold weather climates (zone 3)? Last winter we saw temps about -40. my dad grows grapes and it killed off all his plants.

Duluth, MN checking in.

I grow Fuggles and Cascade and they do surprisingly well.

I recommend mulching in winter. I use about 6" of leaves in a burlap bag. But I must admit, it didn't help the rose bush.

Famou55TAR: You should have no problem growing them in your location next spring. Get some rhizomes from fresh hops or any of the other sources listed on this blog. (Beware of E-bay or any discount sources as you have no idea of its origins.) Stick them in the ground and go.

If you really want to get a head start, you can grow them in a pot but leaving them in a pot will stunt their growth. You could transplant them, but it would certainly shock them.

If you are looking for a list of varieties, check out our website http://www.gorstvalleyhops.com/Hop_Production.html for varieties that do well in the upper midwest.

I misread your post. I thought you were asking if you could actually grow them in the winter.

Yooper... you produce hops in 70-85 days? I don't start to get burrs until usually around4 months frost free.

Oh, yes, I get very nice cascades and decent hallertauer. The plants are about 4 seasons old and I got about 2 pounds (dried) this year off of the one cascade rhizome.

They grow FAST once they poke out of the ground at the end of May. A little frost doesn't seem to hurt them after that. Our last frost is around Father's Day. We get frost again before Labor Day, but usually pretty light. In early September, the evenings are cold but the light frost then doesn't seem to hurt them, either. I harvest them around the first or second week of September.

Here's a picture, taken on August 13 this year:
DSCF2013.jpg

Very nice. I harvest around mid-late August, and I usually start seeing signs of life around mother's day. Show's how different the climates are even though I'm only 4 hours south of you.

I remember the first time I went to Michigan, I was shocked how much snow you guys had. I think on the way up two years ago, we got into Michigan and it was like you have 10 ft. of snow on the ground. I go skiing in the UP every year. Normally hit Powderhorn, but I've got reservations at Indianhead this year for a change of pace.

Oh, yes, I get very nice cascades and decent hallertauer. The plants are about 4 seasons old and I got about 2 pounds (dried) this year off of the one cascade rhizome.

They grow FAST once they poke out of the ground at the end of May. A little frost doesn't seem to hurt them after that. Our last frost is around Father's Day. We get frost again before Labor Day, but usually pretty light. In early September, the evenings are cold but the light frost then doesn't seem to hurt them, either. I harvest them around the first or second week of September.

Here's a picture, taken on August 13 this year:
View attachment 13229

Wow! That's one heckuva critter. I suppose copious amounts of beer is what it takes to keep that outta your hops.

Back