best stone micron size for pure oxygen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beeratier

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

I'm going to buy an oxygen regulator and a diffusion stone setup but I need to know which stone size is the best for doing the pure oxygen thing for the wort. Williams brewing sells a setup with a 2 micron and Northern Brewer sells one with a .5 micron.

Does it even matter? It it just longer time with the 2 micron? Thanks!

IIRC the 2 micron stone is usually used for air pumps since fish tank air pumps aren't real strong UNLESS you start spending more $$ for the large pumps (a Whisper 10 is for a standard shape 10 gallon tank, a Whisper 20 is for a standard shape 20 gallon tank, etc). the .5 micron stone is for O2 bottles since the pressure you are dealing with is much higher (even after a regulator) then you'll get with a air pump.

My home brew store guy recommended the 2 micron stone, as Pumbaa said, for fish tank blowers. He had this exact setup like the one from MoreBeer, so I bought it. Works great, and is easy to use.

Back