Homebrew Black & Tan

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BarleyWater

Reaction score
I've tried it before and it didn't work, but now I have two beers with FGs that are different enough to pour a very nice black and tan. I have an Imperial Porter with an FG of 1.018 and a Pale Ale with an FG of 1.013.

100_0167.JPG

The pale is a little darker in the photo because a little porter is mixed in, but it's a pretty nice B&T. Hoppy nose and nice hop character, but is much fuller bodied with a hint of chocolate because of the porter.

I could be wrong, but all the "Black N Tans", "Half & Half" or "50/50's", what ever people want to call them, that I have had, and by the way, Guinness & Harp is my fav... To me all the same just diffence in the tans. But I think the dark is suppose to float on the tan. But other than that minor detail, look good, I'd still drink it.

How did it taste?

FG matters. Stout's usually on top.

I like this, different looking and it's making me thirsty! That lighting is cool, too, kind of eerie.

Ya, the stout is usually on top, because it's usually a dry stout (Guinness) with a very low FG. I used an Imperial Porter with a high FG, the higher final gravity beer has to go on bottom, otherwise it just mixes all together.

Back