what is this stuff?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KingHippo

Part Time Brewer
Reaction score
Went to take my OG and noticed this stuff floating around just wondering if its normal, if so what is it? Is it ok to take a reading with it all at the bottom?
DSCN0499.jpg

http://i60.photobucket.com/albums/h35/brynshw/DSCN0500.jpg

It's called trub...it's the proteins from the brew, it's also has hopscum as well as hot and cold break material..It's normal, it's the stuff that settles both in the bottom of the brew kettle and also in the bottom of the fermenter...it is perfectly normal.

Most of us though try to avoid getting it into our sample, since we like to drink it after we take a reading. I use a santised turkey baster to draw mine, and I get my sample after I have racked to my fermenter and before I pitched my yeast. Using the baster you only draw a few ounces from the top with each suck...it leaves most of that behind.

But everything's fine, so relax! :D

Awesome thanks for the quick advice Revvy.
I've been using the theif to take my samples but its kinda a pain to drain so mabey i'll give a baster a try!
thanks again

It looks like you got a good cold break. Maybe I'm strange but I actually like to see a nice cold break in my hydrometer tube. It is normal (when you do it right) and it's not a problem taking an hydrometer reading.

I used to use the Theif as well but decided to try the baster this summer...it works great for me...I would love to find a loooong oldschool baster though, mine is a little short.(I know I'm going to end up with that taken outta context and quoted in the memorable quotes thread aren't I? :D)

I used to use the Theif as well but decided to try the baster this summer...it works great for me...I would love to find a loooong oldschool baster though, mine is a little short.(I know I'm going to end up with that taken outta context and quoted in the memorable quotes thread aren't I? :D)

Yeah, that is sig material there! Thanks! :p

Aw c'mon Revvy, give us a little credit for maturity, wouldja? Oh, and nice monster truck you got, really dig it.

I musta accidentally said something right, man... I wouldn't've missed that thread for worlds! Nevermind about monster trucks, I gotta be nice to you now.

Back