Barleywine storage/serving.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I'm a complete noob when it comes to big beers. Prior to this barleywine, my biggest had a 1.068 OG. I haven't bottled in a long time though I do have enough bottles for this batch.

What do you do with your barleywine? I have room/faucets for 5 kegs but I'm not quite sure I want to dedicate a pouring position to a beer that will absolutely last me more than a year. On the other hand, it would allow pulling a 4oz sipper rather than potentially wasting some out of a 12oz bottle.

It went from 1.118 down to 1.025 in just over a week so I racked it to secondary on some bourbon soaked oak chips and suppose it will age there for at least 3 months before I make a decision. I'd like to hear how you treat your big beers.

BMBF. I personally don't want to take up a tap for 8%+ beers that I'm not going to drink very often. It's one of the few times where I'll actually bottle something.

I made an imperial espresso stout around 10% ABV last year. I bottled in 12oz. bottles and made it available at my wedding for the few that would be interested. Everyone "liked" it, but I was slightly disappointed with it. Then two weeks ago, with only 2 bottles left tried it--completely different beer (1 year after bottling). Man I wish I had sat on those bottles for another 6 months before letting anyone try it (The wedding was 6 months after bottling). I've never kegged a big beer for the same reason you are concerned with: too long to occupy one of your kegs. I'd say--if you have the room, go for it! But it may take a while before its potential is unleashed.

I'm a complete noob when it comes to big beers. Prior to this barleywine, my biggest had a 1.068 OG. I haven't bottled in a long time though I do have enough bottles for this batch.

What do you do with your barleywine? I have room/faucets for 5 kegs but I'm not quite sure I want to dedicate a pouring position to a beer that will absolutely last me more than a year. On the other hand, it would allow pulling a 4oz sipper rather than potentially wasting some out of a 12oz bottle.

It went from 1.118 down to 1.025 in just over a week so I racked it to secondary on some bourbon soaked oak chips and suppose it will age there for at least 3 months before I make a decision. I'd like to hear how you treat your big beers.

Try to find some pony bottles...7.5 ozs. I believe Rolling Rock use to sell them in returnables. I scored some back in the 80's . I would always put the big beers in these. Since returning to brewing I haven't made anything that large. Don't know if my brain cells can handle them anymore:cross: Charlie

I was just going to suggest ponies, but I was also going to ask if anybody has found any for sale. I haven't, and I'd like to for this very reason (I don't have a keg system). I also know they aren't available in some states.

I'm leaning towards dedicating a keg. It's not really an issue of not having enough kegs but moreso only having the ability to cold-store and pour 5 (I know, cry me a frickin river right?). I have 4.5 gallons in secondary. This might be a perfect brew for my 3 gallon corny. I might be able to fit it on the hump in the kegger for a 6th position and just throw a picnic tap on it. The remaining can go into bottles that will be forgotten about for very long periods of time or for comps. I'd love to find some old nip bottles but they're rare.

Bobby, what about keeping it in the keezer with the picnic tap like that extract Witbier? I know you have 5 faucets, but don't you have room for 6 kegs? Regarding barleywines, I personally let them mellow for quite some time. Then I drink them out of snifter-like glasses at about 55F...

on my first barleywine i was concerned about natural carbonation due to the alcohol percentage. i just kegged it after secondary and force carbed then i bottled it. it aged in bottles for about 6 months. every bottle was carbed perfectly as well.

Not to mention finding out what the shipping is... it doesn't qualify for free shipping.

hey, group buy on these anyone?
cub7st.jpg

7oz square swingtop $2 each.

Personally, I like a 12oz serving of bigger brews like barley wines since it give you plenty of time to experience the evolution of the brew with changing temps as you sip through the glass.

Well, I found this thread probably a bit too late for most of you, but the future viewers of this thread may find this useful.
We just recently started using Coke products at work again. Rather than have them install soda gun (Wunderbar) lines, we have been getting Coke, Diet Coke, and Sprite IN 8oz GLASS BOTTLES! Turns out not only do they still make them, but Coke still distributes them! I would find your local Coca-Cola distributor in the phone book and make a call. Surely they would help direct you to something in your area that uses them (if there are any) and then it's the quick make a deal for some empties trick. I've got two cases (24 each) already and hoping to get some more.

Only downside...
they're clear. Maybe I'll enamel them.

Getting a place to save empties for you can be a big pain and is largely unsuccessful from what I've heard.

Clear glass doesn't both me really, after all I'm the only one handling my beer, so I know it has never been in the sun.

I know it's an old thread, but I'll throw my 2c: I don't mind dedicating one of my 6 taps to a big beer, but I keep it at just one. I also can fit a 7th corny in the keezer and I could just leave a picnic tap coiled on it.

Depends I guess, I mean I don't have a problem but I'm the one saving them for myself. It's not so much to get a PLACE to save them, but get a PERSON to save them! Go in before a busy time of the day, and the week, have a few drinks, talk to the bartender, mention your interest and willing to part with money/beer for a case or two of them. Most I've talked to would be more than willing to do it, as long as you're not looking for 12 cases or anything like that.

Or you could go to Cracker Barrell (you know there's one nearby) and buy a bunch of Coke and keep the bottles.

I've been thinking of going a barleywine and bottling half and putting the other half in the 2.5 gal cornie I have collecting dust. I'm not sure I'd even feel compelled to taste it for the first 8 months or so anyway but I'd probably test off of the bottles and then when it was good put the cornie on tap.

I ended up putting this barleywine in a keg. Over the summer and fall the keg sat in the garage conditioning at about 70F. I have a picnic tap on it and take samples here and there and I don't have a problem with it taking up a keg over time because I have 12.

just wanted to mention something since nobody brought it up, but the recommended serving temperature of a barleywine is minimum 50*. i keep my kegerator at 52 because i'm not a big fan of ice cold beer, but i know i'm in the minority. what's your serving temp Bobby? if it ends up being a winter beer, it might not warm up the way you'd like coming off the taps.

i'd go for the 6oz bottles if you can get them cheap enough. it doubles your yield and they make great gifts, especially finished with wax. it will also allow you to cellar some bottles for more than a year.

My kegger is set to 45F but I haven't put the BW keg in there yet. Until about 3 weeks ago, the garage was a steady 50-55F. It's getting colder now. I plan to fill about 12 - 12oz bottles and maybe 6 - 22oz bombers so that I can get them back into the wamer basement for long term aging. The 22oz is a good size when I'm bringing it to brewclub events where some 30+ members are going to be tasting. The twelves are mandatory for compititions.

I've saved a few Miller Lite 7oz. bottles, and I have a large supply of small Coke bottles. I personally would not keg, even if I had extra taps. I'd try and find smaller bottles. Where I live, I can usually just ask any place that takes returnables ( like Grunst Brothers, Big Rapids) and they let me look through their stuff. There is usually something there I can take home.

I would bottle in 12 oz. if I didn't have anything smaller. I could drink 12 oz of good barleywine, but I'd probably prefer to drink smaller bottles, and make it last longer.

I've got a 2.5 gallon batch of BW ready to go into secondary, and I'm putting it in smaller bottles. Coke, if I have to, just have to make sure they stay out of the light.

The nice thing about kegging, besides not having to screw around with a bunch of small bottles, is that I can drink 1oz or 2 or 6 at any time. In other words, the benefits of kegging do not become invalid when the ABV reaches a certain point. However, if I only had two taps, I could see not wanting to dedicate one to something that would last a long time.

Back