safale 04 and 05 notes on IPA.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crito

Reaction score
I made four different IPAs. Two with 05 and two 04. Same wort, but two different french press 'late' hop additions.

First dry hoping came out more like a very hopped pale ale. The 05 gave the best hop aroma and taste. Tasted smooth. 04 gave a English biscuit taste with some hop aroma.

Second dry hop I doubled the hop amount. The 05 gave strict hop bitterness taste. No real taste of sweetness. The 04 shocked me. The English biscuit taste was not there. I tasted a pleasant grapefruit taste along with a nicer aroma.

I just wanted to share my experiences

Thanks, I've used 05 quite a bit but never 04. I was thinking of trying it and you sold me on the grapefruit coming through.

My friend told me it might of been the sweetness of the beer that enhanced the hop taste. Makes sense when comparing the two yeast.

Did you ferment differently between the four batches or did you hold the conditions constant across all? Both are nice yeasts. I like 04s esters and sometimes let its temp run wild in some 'house ' brew fermentations.

Thanks Crito. I just tried S-04 for the first time last weekend on an ESB. The biscuit flavor profile should work well with that style, so I'm looking forward to trying it. Did you find the ferment to be a little slow/sluggish?

Sorry for being vague.

I like to ferment at the low end of the fermentation recommendations on the packet. I usually leave the beer on the yeast cake for two weeks then cold crash it for a week. Then I transfer it to my keg.

I ferment in cornies. About four gallons in one keg. I use the same temp for all four, same wort.

First frenchpress was two ounces of homegrown hops (cascade northern brewer and nugget.) Then split between kegs. The second french press was 1.5 ounces of Simcoe, citra and galaxy for each keg.

Now I know the variables are messed up to do a proper experiment. I made 16 gallons of IPA total, four gallons in each keg.

Google homebrew talk French press. They habe over ten psges of good info. Its using beer with a shot of alcohol (for pH reasons) at a temperature of 170 for 50 minutes to soak the hops to produce a similar (dry hopping) affects.

Edit: I believe a yeast strain that leave more sugars like 04 will produce positive results when high amount of dry hop additions are in use.

Edit: I used IPA recipe from jamill's book: brewing with classic styles. All grain version. Its a basic american IPA recipe.

Edit. I brew to drink. Many people say my beer taste like any craft beer sold in stores. No major flaws. However I do not brew to style (important info if you brew for competition). I don't want people to get angry on my topic.

Back