How long do you boil your starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Exact same here. Used to boil longer and now I go for 5 minutes (had too much boil off and would end up with higher gravity and less starter than I wanted)

I boil 15 minutes in the ehrlenmeyer flask. I use a little fermcap and haven't noticed a big boil off. I do cover loosely with foil.

10 mins with the cover on. I figure DMS in a starter won't matter.

5 minutes here with no lid. I decant my starter before pitching anyway so the boil of the starter is just to sanitize and dissolve the DME.

JonM said:
10 mins with the cover on. I figure DMS in a starter won't matter.

DMS is a non issue in extract as it has already been taken care of in the manufacture of the extract:)

Uh, MAYBE 5 minutes. Really just a few minutes to sanitize the lid of the pot/pot itself with steam. I like to use just a scosche more water than I want for my starter and this way I don't boil off much/any.

for me it varies, but i've boiled for as little as 1 minute. the idea is to sterilize the wort and that happens in a few seconds at 212*F. the rest, to my mind, is to create steam to sterilize the pot/flask/etc you're boiling in. certainly nothing wrong with boiling for 15 minutes, but i can't think of any reason such a long boil is necessary. am i missing something?

I go until there is reflux at the top of the flask, and then two minutes or so. This ensures that the entire interior has been cooked to 100degC.

Personally I boil in a small saucepan for 5 - 10 minutes with the lid on the last few minutes. I sanitize my flask, then i put the hot/boiling wort in the flask, and then put the flask in the ice bath with aluminum foil on the top.

Back