A Basic starting the Boil question...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dstranger99

Reaction score
How do you guys do your boil using a partial grain extract kit?

I've been putting the grains in cold, and warming up the water to 154 degrees where I let the grains sit for about 45 minutes to 1 hr before taking them out and adding the extract.

Should I wait until the water gets to temp, and then add the grains, or does it matter going in cold?

I'm just trying to fine tune some things......Thanks..

How do you guys do your boil using a partial grain extract kit?

I've been putting the grains in cold, and warming up the water to 154 degrees where I let the grains sit for about 45 minutes to 1 hr before taking them out and adding the extract.

Should I wait until the water gets to temp, and then add the grains, or does it matter going in cold?

I'm just trying to fine tune some things......Thanks..

You should bring the water to 165 or so, and add the grains and hold them there for your time. Then remove them, and pour 170 degree water over them, up to your boil volume.

That's assuming a partial mash- for steeping grains it really doesn't matter. But if you always do it the same way, you're covered.

Perfect! Thanks.

What about liquid extract? Alot of these kits tell us to pour it in, bring to a certain temp and boil for an hour. But since this extract stuff has already been boiled once when it was made, why boil it again for so long ? Your thoughts Yoop?

Perfect! Thanks.

What about liquid extract? Alot of these kits tell us to pour it in, bring to a certain temp and boil for an hour. But since this extract stuff has already been boiled once when it was made, why boil it again for so long ? Your thoughts Yoop?

I'd add the LME at flame out. If the recipe is all LME, I'd add maybe a little at the beginning, but the bulk of it at flameout.

As an example, say you have 2 pounds of DME and 3 pounds of LME. I'd add the DME at the beginning, after bringing the water to a boil, and add the LME at flame out. If the whole recipe is say, 6 pounds of LME, I'd probably add 2 pounds LME at the beginning, and the rest at flameout.

I'd add the LME at flame out. If the recipe is all LME, I'd add maybe a little at the beginning, but the bulk of it at flameout.

As an example, say you have 2 pounds of DME and 3 pounds of LME. I'd add the DME at the beginning, after bringing the water to a boil, and add the LME at flame out. If the whole recipe is say, 6 pounds of LME, I'd probably add 2 pounds LME at the beginning, and the rest at flameout.

I'm curious because I don't do this, yet.... Why do you at the LME at flameout? Would you recommend the same for DME?

I'm curious because I don't do this, yet.... Why do you at the LME at flameout? Would you recommend the same for DME?

My guess would be because it's already been boiled once, doing more to it is just overkill and and could affect flavor, But I'd like to hear the answer from an advanced brewer too......

Using LME in a 1 hour boil adding all at that time can cause darkening. Not to mention that extract twang that is mentioned so much. Late extract additions help prevent this. LME darkens far easier than DME. That's why,in my recipes,I use half the 3lb bag of plain DME in the 2.5-3 gallon boil for hop additions.
Then the remaining DME & all the LME at flame out. I've found that his prevents twang & gives a lighter color.

Using LME in a 1 hour boil adding all at that time can cause darkening. Not to mention that extract twang that is mentioned so much. Late extract additions help prevent this. LME darkens far easier than DME. That's why,in my recipes,I use half the 3lb bag of plain DME in the 2.5-3 gallon boil for hop additions.
Then the remaining DME & all the LME at flame out. I've found that his prevents twang & gives a lighter color.

When using an extract kit, when would be the best time to add the 1/2 gallon of LME ? As Yooper mentioned I could use some at the start, and the rest at the end, but what's confusing me now is the hop additions. The kits tell me to add 1 pack (flavor) during the last 30 minutes, and the final pack (bittering) at the last 5 minutes. How would you guys do it ?......

When using an extract kit, when would be the best time to add the 1/2 gallon of LME ? As Yooper mentioned I could use some at the start, and the rest at the end, but what's confusing me now is the hop additions. The kits tell me to add 1 pack (flavor) during the last 30 minutes, and the final pack (bittering) at the last 5 minutes. How would you guys do it ?......

It depends on what you're making, for the hop additions. Normally, my bittering hops go in at 60 minutes, flavor hops at 15 minutes, and aroma hops at 5 minutes. But I make a lot of IPAs and pale ales. Some beers (like my stout) only have 60 minute hops.

If you post up the recipe on a brewday, we can tell you when to add what hops and when to add the extract.

This is from the other milk stout thread, but I'm brewing tomorrow. Here's my kit:

Fermentables:

3.3 lb Special Dark LME
3.3 lb Light LME
.5 lb Lactose
.5 lb Maltodextrin

Grains:

8 oz caramel 120L
4 oz roasted barley
4 oz dark chocolate

Hops

.5 oz millennium bittering
.5 oz willamette aroma