I just had to jump in . . . First Mozz DONE

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pumbaa

I prefer 23383
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
ok JUST finished up my first cheese ever and I have to say . . . I'm hooked :rockin:
I cant wait for my red to finish carbing up so I can have it with some fresh mozzarella. I have the stuff standing by to do a few more batches so I think as soon as this whole vacation thing kicks in I'll be spending a lot of time in the kitchen with a LOT of milk LOL :ban:

Will be editing this post with pictures of the finished product ASAP

firstmozzarella.jpg

What kind of milk are you using?

I've found that even the plain (not ultra) pasteurized stuff doesn't work well for me.

I get the curd to form fairly well, but always have a problem getting it to hold together. I either end up with really crumbly stuff, or stuff the texture of cheddar...

That, and I hate throwing away ~3/4 of whey (since I can't really find much to do with it).

Sincerely, a frustrated mozz "maker"

found a "gently" pasturized "organic" but not organic because they didnt feel like dealing with the Federal paper work milk around here at the foo foo grocery store. $5 a gallon with a $1.50 deposit on the glass bottle (1/2 gallon bottles so $3 in deposit) but works great, made 2 batches today with ZERO problems. I'll post a link for those who are local to me in case they are interested http://www.oberweis.com/web/default.asp

**EDIT**
I'll see if I can find a copy of the method I'm using maybe thats where you're running into issues

I havent been using the calcium chloride
I've been adding the rennet at 90degrees
at 105 I've been resting for 15 minutes
I add my salt before the first minute in the microwave

other then that same as the video
I got this kit and they use this video

Last edited by a moderator:
What kind of milk are you using?

I've found that even the plain (not ultra) pasteurized stuff doesn't work well for me.

I get the curd to form fairly well, but always have a problem getting it to hold together. I either end up with really crumbly stuff, or stuff the texture of cheddar...

I've used Oberweiss whole milk twice now and mine comes out just like above, crumbly and doesn't hold together. Totally followed directions line by line.

when you heat it to stretch it are you getting it up to the required 135?

Just made a batch this week with Oberwiess milk I picked up at Sendicks on 80th and Layton (ish) with no problem

Maybe I'm not getting the temp up that high. I had it in 180-190 degree water, maybe not long enough. I'm gonna try again today.

This time I got it. Used cheap whole milk and did the microwave method. Now I'm hooked.

After I heat to 105, let sit, and drain; no amount of microwaving, draining, and folding actually turns into anything stretchable. It winds up more like hard ricotta. :(

how do you get your moz hard? hell normally my complaint is it's too gooey.

Normally when I make mine I dont get a really good "stretch" until the 3rd, 4th, maybe 5th time through the nuker (depending if I am making 1 or 2 pounds)

I tried it for the first time tonight and it was a failure. I used the cheesemaking.com video and I noticed that she doesn't use the calcium chloride or the cheese salt in her directions. So I am going to give it a go again tomorrow. I tried to make pizza out of my failure and it just lacked the right texture/taste and it didn't melt, pretty odd.

the calcium chloride will make it a bit more firm. So will cutting the curds smaller and stirring it more. I just made a batch the other day and it's a bit gooey, taste great just a bit soft. It's definetly more of an art then a science.

**EDIT**
so will stretching it more

Mine wouldn't really stretch, it just kept tearing as I was trying. I know the answer to that is more heat, so I tried nuking it for 15 seconds at a time and stretching again. All that I accomplished was burning my fingers and teaching my son more words he isn't supposed to say.

I heated for 60 sec first then 35 sec each time after. I think it took 3 times total until it started to stretch.

richbrew99 said:
I heated for 60 sec first then 35 sec each time after. I think it took 3 times total until it started to stretch.

I have made 2 successful batches now. My only question is how do you not burn the %^*# out of your hands when stretching the really hot cheese?

Knead it and stretch really quick. It is hot and my hands are red afterwards but I guess I have a high heat threshhold on my hands.

I did better this time around because I knew what was coming, but my hands are really tender. I guess I need gloves.

Back