Issues with Perlick 525SS - See video

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HellBentBrewCo

Reaction score
I just got 3 new Perlicks and I can't get them to stop spitting water out of the collar nut holes. I've tried my older perlicks on these shanks and I have no issues. I can't get the new Perlick's to work on the old shanks either.

Perlick sent me 3 replacement faucets and they don't work either, great customer service though.

Any suggestions?

Perlick Not Working Video

The rubber gasket in the Perlicks is smaller than some other faucets. Get one that is a thicker width. I had the same problem until I swapped the gaskets from my cheap faucets into the Perlicks, problem solved. It isn't the diameter inside that matters, it is how thick the wall of the gasket is, like if you stacked too gaskets on top of each other. It will fix it.

The rubber gasket in the Perlicks is smaller than some other faucets. Get one that is a thicker width. I had the same problem until I swapped the gaskets from my cheap faucets into the Perlicks, problem solved. It isn't the diameter inside that matters, it is how thick the wall of the gasket is, like if you stacked too gaskets on top of each other. It will fix it.

I tried stacking, too thick. My older Perlicks work fine, were the gaskets thicker on the 425's?

Hey, I got some Perlicks from keg cowboy and am having the same problem. Just built a sanyo 4912 kegerator, just tapped my first brew (irish stout) and lo and behold it's leaking out those collar holes. I tried tightening it down as much as I felt comfortable with and I can get it to slow to a slow drip but it's kind of a bummer. What's the fix for this? If I loosen the collar how do I remove the faucet? Twist it counter clockwise?

The shank is a standard shank. A Stainless Steel shank should fix the problem.

However, I think you need to understand what is going on. The Perlick SS faucets are made to very close specs and sometimes will not fit on the splines of a standard shank. This is due to the fact that the shank is brass and is then Chrome plated. Sometimes the layer of Chrome prevents the faucet from sliding onto the spline. Unless it slides all the way onto the shank, the gasket cannot seal the connection. The fix? Get a small (fine) triangular file and file the spline until the faucet can be fitted. (Or replace the shank with a SS unit)

If I loosen the collar how do I remove the faucet? Twist it counter clockwise?
Your faucet is now jammed onto the shank. You are going to have a rough time getting it off. Twisting it will buy you nothing. Loosen the collar nut all the way and then wiggle the faucet up and down & side to side until you get it off.

ok, able to remove the faucet from the tower. everything looks brand new and all the gaskets are where they should be. is there a way i can just add a gasket or something to fix this?

Replace the gasket with a thicker one. I had the same problem with my 525ss' until I swapped out the gaskets. That or get new shanks, I had 2 from the kit I bought that are lower quality and those are the two that leaked. The new shank that I bought so I could move up to 3 faucets doesn't leak with the standard gasket in the Perlick. So either get new shanks or new, thicker gaskets.

Weird. I have these same faucets and they aren't squirting like that. (couldn't resist with so much talk about nut holes and jamming faucets onto shanks).

I have 6" stainless steel shanks for my Perlicks. Could it be shank size or type? (more innuendo, I realize). But seriously...

I think it's the stainless vs chrome. I don't want to buy new shanks for these faucets. Poor design making the new version not compatible with a standard shank

Mine leaked a little bit at the collar where the faucet connects to the shank... until I tightened it with a generic Sears wrench. I didn't purchase the Perlick faucet wrench when I ordered these and I am now wondering if I should have. (may or may not be related)

I have 2 525s and 2 575s, chrome shanks. Had one of each leak when I first got them. I tightened the crud out of them, until they quit leaking, was a ***** to get them off the first time but they have been fine since. As a side note, I have since switched them around and none have leaked. This leads me to believe that the irregularity was in. The shanks, not the faucets.

I had the same problem. I just got 3 perlick 525 and 3 chrome shanks. They all fit tight but one shank was very very tight. None of the perlicks would mate easily. After tightening it does not leak, but it is very hard to remove. Much wiggling is needed. All the shanks fit with standard chrome faucets without issue. I think the perlick tolerances are too tight. Or the machine that makes the splines inside the faucet is having problems.

how do you even fit a thicker gasket in there as the one that's there is wedged in a slot

Back